###CONTACT: Donald Dales Hobart Book Village (607) 538 - 9788
Hobart, N.Y. - On Sunday, Feb. 14 at 3 p.m. former Hobart resident Jim Meagley will be giving his 2nd lecture on the History of Hobart. This lecture on Hobart history will involve a review and discussion of the settlement and development of the Hobart village area by looking at a progression of maps: a 1775 map of the area, which clearly identifies the "Town Brook" and "Roses Brook" rivers; the 1788 Cockburn survey map of the Hobart area when it was named "Painesdale" ; an 1800 map of early Hobart, showing 9 buildings, and 5 streets running out from St Peter's Episcopal Church; an 1820-1830s map of the current cemetery area and nearby John Foote house,identifying the early "burying ground" area; the 1856 Hobart Village map by Jay Gould; and the 1869 Beers Atlas Map of the Hobart Village area. In addition, Meagley will also be referring to some early maps of the Main Street business area between 1898 and 1930. Meagley was born in Cobleskill and raised in Hobart. His parents, June and Gordon Meagley, operated Meagley's Pharmacy in Hobart in the shop now tenanted by Liberty Rock Books and Blenheim Hill Books. He is now an attorney in Buffalo but has had a long-time interest in the history of Hobart and its surroundings. In pursuit of this interest, Jim visits repositories for original maps and documents and obtains much information on-line. He is also a member of the Hobart Historical Society. He presented a lecture last year for the Winter Respite Series that was so well attended that this lecture will be held at the Hobart Community Center to ensure there is enough seating available. Again, this lecture will not be held at Adams' Book Shop, but instead will be held at the Hobart Community Center, on Cornell Avenue, next to the Fire Station. The talk will be followed by refreshments (heart-shaped cakes, of course!). There is no charge and all are welcome.