Summertime Family Fun
- Want some free family fun? Check out Sketching in the Galleries
at the Rockwell Museum of Western Art! Families are invited to join a local artist each Thursday in July (7, 14, 21 & 28), 2011 from 10 a.m. - Noon to learn to sketch characters and animals from the West! Each participant will receive a free sketch book!
Each Thursday, new themes and galleries will be highlighted. The artist, with an easel, note paper and markers, will demonstrate drawing techniques for all ages. Sketchbooks, pencils and clipboards will be provided. The program is free for children and teens; adults pay a one-time admission fee for the sketching in the galleries program. Rates are listed below.
There is no additional fee for the following interactive activities:
Explore the West Activity Booklet
- Local Resident Rate (zip codes beginning with 148, 149, 169): $3.00
- Adults (20 - 54): $6.50
- 55+: $5.50
- Students (with ID): $5.50
- AAA Show Your Card & Save: $5.50
- Kids and Teens (19 and under): FREE
- Young buckaroos will explore the Museum through fun activities! Participate in a hide and go seek game, learn about real cowboys, and draw a horse!
- Young visitors match an artist's drawing to images found in the paintings and objects throughout the galleries!
- The ArtPack program offers backpacks filled with creative activities, puzzles, games and more! The ArtPack is a young trailblazer's guide to the Museum!
>Learn more about activities just for families
Currently on View now through Mid-October! Andy Warhol: Cowboys and Indians
In the 1980s, Warhol produced thematically-related images featuring "history's victims. He portrayed Western types: General Custer, Teddy Roosevelt, Geronimo, John Wayne, and Annie Oakley. In contrast, he represented Indians mostly through Native American art including an Indian mask, Hopi Kachina dolls, and a Plains Indian shield. An original portfolio of ten Andy Warhol lithographs on view at the Rockwell Museum of Western Art, now through mid October. Details online at http://www.rockwellmuseum.org/
The Rockwell Museum of Western Art is located at 111 Cedar Street, Corning, NY 14830.