Discover Family-Friendly Entertainment and Cultural Events in the Catskills
Greene County, N.Y
. - This summer, you're invited to enjoy the Great Northern Catskills of Greene County's deeply rooted and diverse cultural heritage during Irish and German festivals that will have everyone dancing a reel or polka, and celebrating the changing seasons on scenic roadways perfect for motorcycle touring.
Experience the Catskill Region's Irish and German traditions with music-filled festivals, motorcycle touring rallies and so much more during annual Catskills events
. Just two hours north of New York City and three hours west of Boston, ride through the Catskills and enjoy the changing seasons.
On August 17, Hunter Mountain kicks off its annual International Celtic Festival
featuring entertainers straight from Ireland. For two days, experience the finest sounds, tastes and more from the Emerald Isle - from a Bagpipe Competition, to a spectacular Mass March featuring hundreds of pipers and drummers marching in unison down the mountain. Admission starts at $16 per person and children 12 years and under will be admitted for free.
Following on the reeling heels, the Michael J. Quill Irish Cultural & Sports Centre will celebrate the 25th
anniversary of the East Durham Irish Feis
, an Irish step-dancing competition featuring approximately 1,000 dancers. Don't miss this incredible display of dance and more on August 24 in East Durham.
The Catskills continue to celebrate with cultural events throughout August and into October, including:
- Bier-Fest! August 8 - The Thomas Cole National Historic Site offers a daring duo of beer and art during this fun for everyone event celebrating their latest Hudson River School of Art exhibition, Albert Bierstadt in New York & New England. Enjoy award-winning regional brews, sample locally sourced foods, see the Bierstadt exhibit and dance to live music. Tickets start at $25.
- Oktoberfest at Windham Mountain, September 7 - Enjoy authentic cuisine, drink and music in the mountains with Spitze - America's premier Oktoberfest Band - entertainment and lawn games. Tickets start at $10 per person. Children 12 and under admitted for free.
- German Alps Festival at Hunter Mountain, August 10-11 - Experience two days of authentic music, traditional German-American foods, entertainment, vendors and kid-friendly activities. Admission starts $12 for adults, children 12 and under admitted for free.
- Catskill Mountain Thunder Motorcycle Festival at Blackthorne Resort in East Durham, September 12-15, is the largest motorcycle festival in upstate New York. Watch motorcycle stunt shows, rodeo games, listen to live music and enjoy a vendor exposition and bike show where you can enter to win cash prizes. On-site lodging is available, as well as RV and camping sites.
- Color in the Catskills at Hunter Mountain, October 4-6, is a great way for motorcyclists to enjoy the fall foliage, scenic and un-crowded roadways, as well join in industry seminars and test ride new motorcycle models. Relax under sunny skies, ride on scenic roads and enjoy live music, arts and craft vendors, food and more for free.
- Oktoberfest at Hunter Mountain, October 5-13 - Held over two peak fall foliage weekends, celebrate the finest in German food and drink, dance and enjoy scenic gondola rides. This event is free for all and features a kid's tent with games, entertainment and a wildlife show.
For more information about additional fall events in the Catskills, visit www.GreatNorthernCatskills.com/events
About Greene County:
Greene County is located in the Great Northern Catskill Mountains and the verdant Hudson River Valley. The region is home to five of the 10 highest Catskill Peaks and the Catskill State Park and is known as the nation's first wilderness. Renowned as the home of Thomas Cole's Hudson River School and the inspiration for Washington Irving's literary legend, Rip Van Winkle, the Catskills are a haven for outdoor recreation and artistic inspiration.
Now through October 13, visitors can share their own legendary adventures through the Adventure Passport Contest. Simply log on to: passport.GreatNorthernCatskills.com/contest
for details and the chance to win a grand prize seasonal getaway to Greene County. Discover the Catskills and Awaken to Adventure at www.GreatNorthernCatskills.com.