Celebrate in the Catskill Mountains with Family-Friendly Events, Festivals & More
Greene County, N.Y.
- In the Great Northern Catskills of Greene County, the holidays are a time of celebration and good cheer, when families and friends gather to spend a day on the slopes or enjoy one of the region's many holiday-themed community festivals and events.
Located just two hours north of New York City, the Great Northern Catskills provide a charming winter destination - one where the majestic snow-capped mountains offer fairy tale vistas, and local shops feature an array of unique gifts, artisan ingredients and much more.
Enjoy an old-fashioned Christmas in the Catskills and spend a cozy night tucked in at a storybook B&B, go snowboarding with Santa, or watch a special holiday performance to add a little extra magic to any visit.
Join in the Yuletide cheer with these Greene County holiday events
- Athens Annual Victorian Stroll is slated for December 14 from 1 - 5 pm. This free family event features fire dancers, caroling and a tree lighting. Enjoy arts and crafts, tours of Crossroads Brewery, live music, harpists, horse drawn trolley rides, dances, ice sculpture demonstrations and more.
- Second Saturday Stroll HolidayFest will take place December 14 throughout the village of Catskill. Experience an evening of holiday cheer in a winter wonderland setting and stroll along Main Street to enjoy poetry readings, wine tastings, live music and special offers from local shops.
- National Marionette Theatre: Sleeping Beauty December 14 at the Orpheum Theater in Tannersville is an event not to be missed. Watch this cherished children's classic come alive through the incredible work of Master Puppeteer David Syrotiak Sr. Advanced tickets are $10 for adults and $7 for children 12 and under. Purchase tickets for the 3:30 pm show online at www.catskillmtn.org.
- Consumer Demo Days at Hunter Mountain are slated for 9 am - 4 pm December 14 - 15. Spend two days taking the newest gear from major manufacturers for a test drive on the slopes. Participants are required to sign a liability agreement and anyone less than 18 years of age must have a parent or legal guardian sign for them.
Don't miss Windham Mountain's annual Skiing and Riding with Santa Day
December 15, when Old Saint Nick takes a day off from his Christmas prep to shred the trails with his biggest fans. Don a Santa suit to ski free all day. The first 300 to pre-register for the event will receive two midweek, non-holiday vouchers to Windham for their next visit. A suggested donation of $20 will go toward local charities.
About Greene County:
Greene County is located in the Great Northern Catskill Mountains and the Hudson River Valley. The region is home to five of the 10 highest Catskill Peaks and the Catskill State Park and is known as the nation's first wilderness. Greene County is renowned as the home of Thomas Cole's Hudson River School and the inspiration for Washington Irving's literary legend, Rip Van Winkle, and was named in honor of American Revolutionary War General Nathanael Greene. This 705,500-acre wilderness offers abundant year-round outdoor recreation and unique cultural events. Learn more at http://www.greatnortherncatskills.com/?utm_source=thebeat&utm_medium=press-release&utm_content=magic-holiday-catskills&utm_campaign=2013