Show your love with Orange County, NY happenings.
Orange County, N.Y.
- Who needs Cupid? Shower the object of your affection with fun Hudson Valley escapades and get to the heart of it! In addition to amorous adventures, gifts of Jones Farm's fudge, Gillinder Glass Factory jewelry, and Brotherhood's Grand Monarque Champagne are as effective as any golden arrow from Cupid. Brace yourself for serious romance when you whisk your beloved off to a romantic overnight getaway at one of Orange County's premier hotels or B&Bs. Plan it with the events calendar and attractions on http://www.orangetourism.org/
, and be sure to review the restaurant listings, too. The local farm fresh cuisine prepared to culinary perfection is quite an aphrodisiac. No love interest yet? Venture out with friends and family and you just might meet your better half.
Is there a pas de deux in your future? Before you make your move, learn some smooth moves at the Social, Ballroom and Latin Dance lessons taught every Wednesday evening to folks 18 and over at Jester's Restaurant & Pub in the Castle Fun Center. Singles and couples are welcome. A full restaurant and bar menu available before and after this 7:30 to 9:30pm weekly event offers more time to socialize. Give dancing a whirl and you just might find a date for the February 14th
Valentine's Day Dinner Comedy Show at the Castle's Event Center. The buffet dinner and 3-comedian performance with Jeff Norris headlining will keep things light and highlight your wonderful sense of humor.
Lots of old romantic movie plots involve young couples taking leisurely rides through some scenic countryside. That's a plan that still works! Take your date on a Sunday drive to rural Cuddebackville for the Valentine's Day Chocolate Dessert Social at the Neversink Valley Museum of History & Innovation happening from noon to 4 pm on February 9th
. Their visitors' center will be laden with all varieties of irresistable chocolates and desserts to eat there or take home. Coincidentally, this unique museum in the D&H Canal Park houses the Institute for Early Film Studies
showcasing many 20th
century films made right in Cuddebackville. You'll need to return between April and October to actually visit the museum's collections, but what a great opportunity to ask for another date. In the meantime, just 10 miles away, the Gillinder Glass Factory Gift Store is glistening with glass treasures that will make a lovely memento of the day. (Hint, hint!)
Show off your cuddling skills at Edgwick Farm in Cornwall. Dozens of adorable newborn dairy goats, chicks, and ducklings are eager to snuggle up to participants at the one-hour farm tours available by reservation only from February through April. Everyone's encouraged to bring their kids along on this Valentine's date, but save the fine goat cheese you pick up at the farm to enjoy with a special someone after the little ones have gone to sleep. A little local wine would be the perfect accompaniment. Good news! Palaia Vineyards and Brotherhood Winery are just a few miles from the farm.
There are few couples as iconic as the Washingtons. A 3-day event in observance of George's birthday just happens to fall on Valentine's weekend this year. Enjoy free admission to the exciting programs at this February 15th
celebration. In 1775 George wrote to Martha, "I retain an unalterable affection for you, which neither time or distance can change." Visit the rooms they shared in the riverside fieldstone farmhouse for 16 months during the Revolutionary War. You'll be inspired by their deep commitment to one another and their cause. If you want to know what's in the cards for your own love life, stop by the Valentine's Day Psychic Faire in nearby Cornwall. Tarot card and Oracle readings will fill you in while homemade baked goods, wine, cheese and refreshments fill you up. Brid's Closet is the place to be for this 11 am to 7 pm event on Saturday, February 15th
Orange County's winter sports parks make marvelous Valentine's venues. Your honey will appreciate a hand of support as you take some laps together around the beautiful Bear Mountain State Park outdoor skating rink. Warm up in the lodge at Mount Peter or Tuxedo Ridge after some fun time on the downhill slopes. Wouldn't it be fun to learn to ski together? Both of these ski areas are wonderful for beginners. Show off your playful spirit with a few runs down the snow tube hill at Thomas Bull Memorial Park. The rope tow will deliver you back to the top where you can drink in the dreamy scenic views of the Shawangunk Mountains from the cozy lodge. There's more outdoor fun at Breezy Point Inn's Winter Carnival in Greenwood Lake. Live music, limbo dancing, ice bowling, and bonfires are just a few of the activities happening all day on February 15th
. A wine tasting dinner buffet starts off the event on February 14th
Come to Orange County for some fun and romance, and remember, many of the attractions, lodging, and events at http://www.orangetourism.org/
work well for weddings, too! For a free copy of the Orange County Travel Guide, email firstname.lastname@example.org
, or call 800-762-8687. Orange County Tourism is headquarters for tourism in the county and is part of the I LOVE NY program.
- Bear Mountain State Park Ice Skating Rink, Bear Mountain. 845-786-2701 x266. http://www.bearmountainicerink.com/
- Breezy Point Inn Winter Carnival, Greenwood Lake. 845-477-8100. http://www.breezypointinn.com/
- Brotherhood, America's Oldest Winery. Washingtonville. 845-496-3661. http://www.brotherhood-winery.com/
- George Washington's Birthday Celebration, Washington's Headquarters State Historic Site, Newburgh. 845-562-1195. http://www.palisadesparksconservancy.org/
- Gillinder Glass Factory Store, Port Jervis. 845-856-5375. http://www.gillinderglassstore.com/
- Goat Farm Tours at Edgwick Farm, Cornwall. 845-534-8707. www.facebook.com/edgwickfarm
- Mount Peter Ski Area, Warwick. 845-986-4940. http://www.mtpeter.com/
- Palaia Vineyards, Highland Mills. 845-928-5384. http://www.palaiavineyards.com/
- Social, Ballroom and Latin Dancing at Jester's Restaurant and Pub, Chester. 845-469-2116, http://www.thecastlefuncenter.com/
- Snow Tubing at Thomas Bull Memorial Park, Montgomery. 845-457-4949. http://www.orangecountynyparks.com/
- The Shops at Jones Farm, Cornwall. 845-534-4445. http://www.jonesfarminc.com/
- Tuxedo Ridge Ski Area, Tuxedo. 845-351-1122. http://www.tuxedoridge.com/
- Valentine's Day Chocolate Dessert Social, D&H Canal Visitor's Center, Cuddebackville. 845-754-8870, https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Neversink-Valley-Museum-of-History-Innovation
- Valentine's Day Dinner Comedy Show, Event Center at the Castle, Chester. 845-469-2116, http://www.thecastlefuncenter.com/
- Valentine's Day Psychic Faire and Bake Sale, Brid's Closet, Cornwall. 845-458-8726, http://www.bridscloset.com/
This communication may contain confidential information and is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Any review, dissemination, or copying of this communication by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender, and destroy all copies of the original message. No responsibility is accepted by Orange County Government for any loss or damage arising in any way from receiving this communication.
Mary Ann McCarthy