Lake Placid, N.Y. - At a presentation Thursday afternoon (June 19), AAA Northway President and CEO James Phelps presented Ed and Lisa Weibrecht, owners of Mirror Lake Inn Resort and Spa, with the prestigious AAA Four Diamond Award for the 30th year in a row.
The time-honored property dates back to the 1920s. It is the second longest running AAA Four Diamond property in the entire state, behind just The Carlyle in Manhattan.
In addition, The View Restaurant, located inside the hotel, collected the Four Diamond achievement for the seventh straight year.
"The Four Diamond Award means we are exceptional," said Ed Weibrecht, addressing some 140 hotel staff just before receiving the two honors. "And we are exceptional because of you, our staff. So you should consider yourselves exceptional.
"We have a beautiful hotel, and we're located in a beautiful village. But without the passion that you bring to the Mirror Lake Inn, and your friendliness and service, we would not be as successful."
When Weibrecht's comments before staff and management concluded, Phelps came to the podium in the Wikoff Room.
"I have to tell you a story. I have recommended the Mirror Lake Inn to many people over the years," he said. "In many cases not only have those people returned satisfied, but they've called me to say how the experience far exceeded their expectations."
Andrew Weibrecht, son of Ed and Lisa, was among the family members to witness the 30th year occasion. As a unique memento for hotel guests, the double Winter Olympic medalist in alpine skiing now has both medals on display. The hotel staff added Andrew's recent silver medal from the Sochi Winter Games to his Vancouver bronze behind the front desk for viewing.
The respective 30 year and seven year milestones put the Lake Placid resort and its' accompanying upscale restaurant in exclusive company:
• Only one hotel in New York State (The Carlyle in Manhattan) has held the AAA Four Diamond distinction longer
• Of the 59,000 establishments ranked by AAA less than 4 percent have achieved Four Diamonds
• Only 119 hotels have maintained the Four Diamond rating for 25 or more consecutive years
• Four Diamond hotels account for only 5.3 percent of the more than 29,000 AAA rated hotels
• Four Diamond restaurants account for only 2.5 percent of the nearly 30,000 AAA rated restaurants
• Together, Mirror Lake Inn and The View Restaurant are the only AAA Four Diamond lodging and dining combination offered in Lake Placid
• The View Restaurant is the village's only AAA Four Diamond dining experience
To mark the occasion, the resort has developed numerous 30th anniversary-themed promotions at times throughout the remainder of the year. These include, but are not limited to:
• A $30 wine and cheese pairing in Taste Bistro and Bar for the remainder of the year
• Stay three nights and get the fourth night for $30. Valid from Oct. 14 to Dec. 21
• A prix fixe $30 three-course menu offered one day a week in September and October in Taste Bistro
• A Throwback Thursday promotion in The Cottage Café via Facebook with prizes awarded through December
• Hotel guests in October using the Inn's world class spa can book any three 50 minute services Sunday through Thursday. The third service will cost just $30.
• 30th anniversary cocktail in Taste Bistro and The Cottage Café
The property has received other recent plaudits, among them:
• Conde Nast Traveler 2013 and 2014 Gold List
• Conde Nast Traveler Top Resort in the Northeast for 2013 and 2014
• Conde Nast Traveler Top Ski Hotel in Eastern North America for 2013 and 2014 (5th best in North America)
• Travel + Leisure America's Best Mountain Resorts
• Best Romantic Inn for 2013 and 2014 (Capital Region Living)
• Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 14 years in a row
• Best Hotel in the Mountains for 2013 (Adirondack Daily Enterprise survey)
• Best Spa in the Mountains for 2013 (Adirondack Daily Enterprise survey)
• Best Romantic Lodging, Spa/Salon and Outdoor Dining for 2014 (Adirondack Life Magazine)
About the Mirror Lake Inn
The AAA Four Diamond Mirror Lake Inn Resort and Spa is a luxury lakefront resort in the Adirondack Mountains. The Inn, rated Four Diamond for 30 consecutive years, offers both Four Diamond world-class cuisine and casual dining options, with impeccable service amid awe-inspiring views. Only one other property in New York (located in Manhattan), has maintained the Four Diamond designation longer than Mirror Lake Inn. It is the only property in Lake Placid that combines Four Diamond lodging and dining. The Inn's renowned Lake Placid spa pampers the body and refreshes the mind with a comprehensive menu of services. The Inn is conveniently located one block from the restaurants and shops on Main Street in Lake Placid.