New York, N.Y. - NYC & Company, New York City's official marketing, tourism and partnership organization, today announced Red Hook in Brooklyn as the next destination to be featured in Neighborhood x Neighborhood. This one-time industrial hub has reinvented itself as a center of eclectic restaurants and shops and the home of entrepreneurs, artisans, musicians, beekeepers and rooftop gardeners alike. Accessible by both ferry and the B57 and B61 buses-which are an easy connection from the A, C, F, N, R, 2, 3, 4 or 5 trains in Downtown Brooklyn-Red Hook rewards the visitors who come to discover this jewel of the New York City waterfront. For "Must-See Red Hook" highlights and more, visit nycgo.com/nxn.
"New York City's five boroughs have it all, including revitalized waterfront communities that continue to attract more residents and visitors," said Fred Dixon, president and CEO of NYC & Company. "Red Hook is a perfect example of this renaissance, and we encourage our fellow New Yorkers and visitors alike to check out everything exciting happening in Red Hook this May and throughout the summer."
"Must-See Red Hook" Highlights
The following vendors and venues and more are featured on nycgo.com/nxn
* New York Water Taxi runs a daily shuttle-free of charge on weekends-to and from Wall Street's Pier 11 in Manhattan and IKEA's own dock in Red Hook.
* Red Hook is home to some of the City's freshest seafood restaurants including the Red Hook Lobster Pound, where fresh-catch Maine lobster makes for flavorful lobster rolls and full-on dinners. For a quick bite on the weekends, food vendors in the Red Hook Ball Fields serve authentic Latin American food. Fort Defiance is an easygoing hangout serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. A charming restaurant in Red Hook, The Good Fork is cherished for its traditional food served with an Asian-inspired twist.
* Coconut, chocolate, pecans and butterscotch make up the signature "Baked Bar" at Baked, whose desserts, including the Red Hook Red Hot, have won it fans across the country. For chocolate bars, bonbons and chocolate liqueurs, Cacao Prieto sources its cacao from its 100-year-old family farm in the Dominican Republic.
* Sunny's can trace its Red Hook roots back to 1890, and today-after stints as a restaurant and longshoremen's bar-this homey waterfront saloon has weekly country/bluegrass jam sessions.
* A variety of neighborhood stores include Erie Basin, which sells vintage jewelry; Pier Glass, offering private glass-blowing lessons and ornamental colored glass objects; and the florist Saipua, which also sells handmade soaps and candles.
* The gallery Kentler International Drawing Space offers monthly and bimonthly exhibitions, featuring the work of up-and-coming local and international artists alike. Look North Inuit Art Gallery exhibits traditional Inuit works of art, and Brooklyn Waterfront Artists Coalition promotes the work of local artists.
Neighborhood x Neighborhood: The Essential Guide to NYC New York City is made up of five distinct boroughs: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island. The Neighborhood x Neighborhood initiative spotlights the affordability and accessibility of these diverse communities, including areas that have seen new hotel development in recent years. Neighborhoods and featured highlights are chosen in collaboration with community leaders and with consideration of NYC & Company's members.
In order to continue to grow New York City's tourism industry, Neighborhood x Neighborhood targets repeat visitors, intrepid first-time visitors and New Yorkers seeking new adventures here in their home city. The campaign was designed to highlight the diversity of offerings in New York City's five boroughs, encourage exploration in areas outside traditional tourist locations and generate economic activity in the featured neighborhoods.
Neighborhood x Neighborhood is produced by NYC & Company and its Presenting Sponsor, Santander Bank, N.A. The sponsorship includes production of taxi videos each month, bus stop shelters and street-pole banners highlighting the selected neighborhoods.
For more information about Red Hook and other things to see and do across New York City, visit nycgo.com/nxn
About NYC & Company:
NYC & Company is the official marketing, tourism and partnership organization for the City of New York, dedicated to maximizing travel and tourism opportunities throughout the five boroughs, building economic prosperity and spreading the positive image of New York City worldwide. For more information, visit nycgo.com
Santander Bank, N.A. is a top 25 retail bank in the United States by deposits. Its main corporate offices are in Boston and it operates principally in Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island. Santander's 9,469 employees serve its 1.8 million customers through the bank's 706 branches, 2,074 ATMs, call centers, website and mobile app. Supervised by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency and a member of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, Santander in the United States is a wholly-owned, financially autonomous subsidiary of Banco Santander (NYSE: SAN), a global commercial and retail bank. For more information about Santander, visit www.santanderbank.com