In 1841 the first official station on the Erie Railroad line was built in Chester. It was an isolated structure in a wilderness landscape along the tracks that eventually became the focus for the village that grew around it. Chester and Goshen were the first stations on the Erie to have full time agents. On September 23, 1841, the first Erie passenger train made its scheduled stop at Chester.
In 1915 a new station was built. The restored 1915 station museum now houses exhibitions of local and historical interest.
To find out more about the history of the Erie Railroad and Chester's Erie Station visit the 1915 Erie RR Station - Chester's Local History Museum!