• Accessibility
Menu Close

Tour though SW House & Oneonta's History

Details

Built in 1807 by Revolutionary War soldier Lawrence Swart, this German Paletine House has seen the growth of the Oneonta area go from colonial farm, to commercial railroad town, and eventually to incorporated city. The lives of the two families that lived in the SW house for over 200 years also illustrate the changes occuring in the community. A tour of the house takes one from General Clinton's Revolutionary campaign, through the Civil War, to the economic changes of the Industrial Revolution, and finally to the Victorian Era. Of special interst is a collection of transcribe diaries that Henry Wilcox kept daily from 1867 to 1910, and an exhibit of the popular Patient Medicine "Dimmick's Bladder and Kidney Cure."

Map