The Alfred Ceramic Art Museum at Alfred University houses nearly 8,000 ceramic objects ranging from small pottery shards recovered from ancient civilizations to modern and contemporary ceramic art. The primary mission of Alfred Ceramic Art Museum is to collect, preserve, conserve, research, interpret and exhibit ceramic art for aesthetic and educational purposes. The museum is a research and teaching facility, which offers an engagement in cultural history via ceramic art to the student, artist, scholar and collector as well as the local, national and international community. In 1900, Charles Fergus Binns was appointed as the founding director of the New York State College of Clay Working and Ceramics at Alfred University. Nearly ninety years later, in 1991, the University formally established the Museum of Ceramic Art at Alfred University. In the fall of 2016, The Alfred Ceramic Art Museum opened the doors of a new state of the art museum building designed by Kallman, McKinnell and Wood Architects, Boston.