An official Path Through History Site! The Buffalo Central Terminal, built by the New York Central Railroad, opened to the public on June 22, 1929. The former historic rail station is located in Buffalo's Polish district. Polonia as it is known, encompasses parts of the east side of Buffalo, as well as the suburb of Cheektowaga. This is a traditionally Polish neighborhood that includes the Broadway Market, the city's only public market. Also in the neighborhood is Saint Adalbert's Basilica, an historic Roman Catholic. It is a prime example of the Polish Cathedral style of church architecture in both its opulence and grand scale.