An official Path Through History Site! The Glebe House offers a glimpse into the lifestyle of a middle-class Colonial family. The simple brick home was constructed circa 1767 for the Rev. John Beardsley, who ministered to Episcopal congregations in Poughkeepsie and Fishkill. At the outset of the Revolutionary War, Beardsley remained loyal to Great Britain and fled to Canada: during the war, the house quartered Continental Army officers. Later, it went through a succession of owners until being purchased and restored by the Dutchess County Historical Society in 1929.