Plans are "exploding" for the 2009 Owego Strawberry Festival as the "coolest small town in America" prepares for the 29th annual event. Make plans now to attend as this year's festival to be held Friday and Saturday, June 19-20 will be the "granddaddy" and "coolest" of all festivals in the entire state. The following great events are scheduled during the two days of the festival:
- (NEW!) Strawberry Pie Baking Contest - applications available online
- Poochie Dog Show Contest
- Friday Night Block Party Fireworks!
- Rock Climbing Wall for the adventurous
- (NEW!) New York Wine Tent featuring wineries from Black Bear Winery, Crooked Lake Winery, Glenora Wine Cellars, Hazlitt 1852 Vineyards, Hudson Chatham Winery, Hunt Country Vineyards, Kings Garden Vineyards, Knapp Vineyards Winery, Standing Stone Vineyards, Yates Cellars Winery. ($5 admission into the tent and ID required for ½ oz. tastings. The purchase of wine is offered, but no wine can be consumed outside of the tent on Strawberry Festival grounds.)
- (NEW!) World's Tallest Pinball Machine (24 feet tall)
- Ross Park Zoomobile
- Poppyland Puppet Band
- (NEW!) Dunking Booth
- Ducky Derby Race off the Court Street Bridge
- (NEW!) Main Entertainment Stage
Entertainers to date are:
- Department 24
- 4-Eye Band
- MTB Band
- Cobblestone Crossing
- Steven Ward
- Marc, the Zani Traveling Entertainer
- Nate the Great
- String Band
- Nasty Habits
- Dirt Farm
- Ithaca Dixieland Band
And more to come!
The coolest parade in the region will begin at 10:00 a.m. starting at Main Street to Court to Front to Paige and back to Main Street. A return performance by Rochester's "Hit Men" and a host of other fantastic entertainment, floats, marching bands, and more will be featured on the parade route.
The Friday Night Block Party will be back again beginning at 5:00-10:30 pm. The Pie Contest, Dog Show Contest, Street Entertainment, food vendors, Pig Roast, as well as the 3rd Friday Art Walk is on the agenda for the evening's activities. Lake Street and part of Front Street will be blocked from traffic so everyone's invited to come downtown and celebrate the kick-off of the greatest weekend event of the year! Strawberries for sale, shortcakes, great food, and all the shops and restaurants will be ready for you! Make sure you stay for the fantastic fireworks over the River off of Draper Park at 10:15 pm.
Shuttle buses will be running continuously on Saturday from the P&C parking lot, Hickories Park and Marvin Park (Fairgrounds) in Owego. For more information about the Owego Strawberry Festival, for a vendor application, or map of downtown activities, visit www.owegostrawberryfestival.com .com
or call 800-671-7772 for a brochure.
# # #