Vowels will buy you April fun!
Hudson Valley, N.Y.
- April fools! There's not really a wheel to spin, but you'll feel like a winner when you pick April happenings from the extensive calendar of events at http://www.orangetourism.org/
. Think "A- E- I- O- U (sometimes Y)" and reveal some of the best things to do here in the Hudson Valley. Of course, on such a long list you'll find wonderful events beginning with consonants too. What's to be expected in the bonus round? Savings on fuel, lodging, fabulous dining and gorgeous scenery. Orange County is just an hour's drive from New York City, at the foothills of the Catskill Mountains.
"A" is for "Angelina Ballerina, The Musical." See the feisty little mouse who loves to dance come to life at a performance featuring hip-hop, modern dance, the Irish jig, and, of course, ballet. It's a storybook adventure for the whole family at 10am or 1pm, on Saturday, April 14th
. Catch some adult antics when the audience participates with Air Pirates Radio Theater in "Tica Maroo Space Cadet: Kung Foo Amazons of Doom," 8pm on Saturday, April 21st
at the Lycian Centre. No doubt you'll give this unique interactive experience an A+ rating for fun. There's also "Artists in the Park," an ongoing exhibit of works by local artists inspired by the astonishing beauty of parks and historic sites within the Palisades Parks system. Admire it at the brand new gallery space inside the recently renovated Bear Mountain Inn. Since these works are for sale, bring home some of the Hudson Valley's scenic beauty on canvas for your own walls.
"E" is for egg hunts. There are two egg-cellent ones on April 7th
. Children ages 7 and under participate in the free Spring Egg Hunt at Thomas Bull Memorial Park in Montgomery from 11am to noon. The Easter Bunny, Dino the Dinosaur, and the Orange County Chicken will be there to cheer them on. 11am is also the start time of the Bear Mountain Inn's Spring Egg Hunt. Why not stay overnight and enjoy Easter Brunch in their new dining room on Sunday, April 8th
Earth Day is another big "E" in April. Celebrate this environmental occasion on Saturday, April 28th
at the Earth Day Celebration and Flea Market at the Museum of the Hudson Highlands in Cornwall. Farm animals, music, and Planet Protector Passports for children are on the e-genda from 10am to 3pm. Another engaging event starting with the second vowel is the Encampment of the Brigade of the American Revolution at New Windsor Cantonment in Vails Gate. Experience the actual site where George Washington's Continental Army resided, brought back to life with exceptional reenactments on Saturday, April 28th
from 10am to 4pm.
"I" is indicative of interpretive programs at the Fort Montgomery State Historic Site. Few know of the incredible history made at this overlook on the Hudson where a fierce Revolutionary War battle was fought for control of the river. Guided tours and ongoing special programs are offered weekends from 11am to 2pm, but the grounds are open year round, Wednesday through Sunday from 9am to 5pm. A walking bridge across the Popolopen Creek leads to a trail connecting the site to the Bear Mountain Park Zoo. Make a day of it.
"O" is for "original plomedy", or what you get when a play and stand-up comedy are combined into outrageously funny entertainment. Observe it yourself at the 7pm dinner show performance of "Shut Up, Sit Down and Eat" on Saturday, April 28th
at Jester's Comedy Club in Chester. "O" also commemorates opening day at some of Orange County's unique outdoor venues including the Orange County Antique Fair and Flea Market on the first weekend of April, the Orange County Fair Speedway on April 14th
, and the outstanding 500-acre sculpture park, Storm King Art Center on April 4th
Next is "U". Understandably, there's no better place to host a UFO Festival than Pine Bush. A quick search on the computer reveals their fascinating story. This uplifting 2-day event, held rain or shine, on April 28th
features an unusual selection of fun happenings with universal appeal. Play UFO Hide and Seek with Alfie the Alien, watch the Alien Costume Parade, pick up unique items and information relating to the UFO community, and vote for your favorite entries in the Cosmic Chili Cook-off and the Out-of-This-World Car Show. Attend both days for an upbeat, unforgettable weekend.
"Y' is for yard sale. Not just any yard sale, this is the one bargain hunters yearn for, the West Point Community Spring Yard Sale happening from 8:30am to 4pm on Saturday April 14th
. Get there early for some incredible finds. Then head over to the Visitors Center for a spectacular tour of the United States Military Academy aboard a West Point Tours Bus.
Although it doesn't start with one, Pasta Primo Vino has so many vowels that it deserves special mention. This annual Shawangunk Wine Trail event celebrates spring with a self-guided tour of a dozen wineries where you'll taste magnificent wines paired with delicious pasta recipes. It's happening on April 14th
from 10am to 6pm. Purchase tickets for one day or both, but don't delay, it's a popular way to discover the wines of the Hudson Valley region in a complimentary wine glass.
Choose a vowel, any vowel! Take a chance on some great April fun in Orange County. No matter what you pick, you'll win. Find a complete list of attractions, lodging, and events at http://www.orangetourism.org/
. For a free copy of the Orange County Travel Guide call 800-762-8687, or email email@example.com
. Orange County Tourism is headquarters for tourism in the county and is part of the I LOVE NEW YORK
- Air Pirates Radio Theater. 845-469-7563 http://www.airpirateradio.com/
- Artists in the Parks Gallery, Bear Mountain. 845-781-3269 http://www.artistsintheparks.org/
- Bear Mountain Inn. 845-786-2731 ext. 0. http://www.visitbearmountain.com/
- Fort Montgomery State Historic Site. 845-446-2134 http://www.palisadesparksconservancy.org/
- Hudson Highlands Nature Museum, Cornwall. 845-534-5506. http://www.hhnaturemuseum.org/
- Jester's Comedy Club, Chester. 845-345-1039, http://www.jesterscomedyclubny.com/
- Lycian Centre, Sugar Loaf. 845-469-2287 http://www.lyciancentre.com/
- New Windsor Cantonment, Vails Gate. 845-561-1765 x22 http://www.palisadesparksconservancy.org/
- Orange County Antique Fair & Flea Market, Middletown 845-282-4055, http://www.ocfleamarkets.com/
- Orange County Fair Speedway, Middletown. 845-342-2573 http://www.orangecountyfairspeedway.net/
- Pasta Primo Vino, Shawangunk Wine Trail. 845-256-8456 http://pastaprimovino12.eventbrite.com/
- Pine Bush Area UFO Festival, Pine Bush. 845-744-5648 http://www.ufopinebushfestival.com/
- Thomas Bull Memorial Park, Montgomery. 845-457-4910. http://www.orangecountynyparks.com/
- West Point Community Spring Yard Sale. 888-376-5049 http://www.westpointfamilyhousing.com/
- West Point Tours, Inc. 845-446-4724 http://www.westpointtours.com/
Mary Ann McCarthy