Rochester, N.Y. -
John Nugent and Marc Iacona, Producers of the Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival (XRIJF) (www.rochesterjazz.com
) today announced the lineup for their biggest festival ever, to be held over nine days June 21-29, 2013.
The XRIJF 12th Edition will feature Bob James & David Sanborn with Special Guest Steve Gadd, David Byrne and St. Vincent, Roger Hodgson, Pink Martini, Willie Nelson & Family (SOLD OUT), Frampton's Guitar Circus, Trombone Shorty (his fourth appearance at XRIJF), Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings, Dr. John, Christian McBride's Inside Straight, Dr. Lonnie Smith Trio, Louis Armstrong Society Jazz Band, Alfredo Rodriguez Trio, John Patitucci Trio, Gretchen Parlato, Gregory Porter, Kurt Elling, New York Voices, Eric Alexander & Harold Mabern, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Anat Cohen, Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Youn Sun Nah & Ulf Wakenius, Larry Goldings-Peter Bernstein-Bill Stewart, Matt Herskowitz Bach to Brubeck, Ravi Coltrane Quartet, Ben Taylor, Gregoire Maret, Terell Stafford, Hilario Duran Trio and many more!
More than 1200 artists from around the world will perform in 280 concerts including more than 75 free shows at 19 venues and outdoor stages. Last year's festival drew more than 187,000 people from around the world and across the U.S. XRIJF has grown to become one of the world's largest jazz festivals with one of the nation's most extensive international lineups. With bands coming to XRIJF from more than 15 countries, the festival will offer something musically exciting for everyone.
"I am very excited and am looking forward to year 12," said Marc Iacona, Producer and Executive Director. "The festival has fast become a best-in-class event for culture and music for Rochester, New York State and the world. Local businesses will benefit from the economic impact from almost two hundred thousand attendees. This year we are pleased to add the Little Theatre as a new Club Pass venue. We are welcoming four new sponsors, Wegmans, Unity Health System, Delta Air Lines, LiDestri Spirits and CMI Commuications. And with the support of Wegmans, we will be expanding our jazz improv educational program for youth with a new five-day jazz workshop series."
"As we prepare to welcome the world to the 12th edition of the Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival, the concept we have created - 'it's not who you know, it's who you don't know' - has once again proven true," said John Nugent, Producer and Artistic Director. "We have had strong advance sales for Club Pass before any artists were announced. Our headliners this year are also either sold out or near capacity and we expect the free shows to attract tens of thousands to downtown Rochester."
"We've learned that music lovers truly enjoy artistic discovery and our nine-day voyage into the musical unknown," added Nugent. "We salute our incredible patrons and sponsors for their belief in the power of great music and the amazing artists who bring their creativity to us at the highest level."
Headliner Series Tickets on Sale Now at rochesterjazz.com.
- An Evening with Pink Martini, $105/$85/$70/$55 + service charges
- An Evening with Willie Nelson & Family - SOLD OUT
- David Byrne & St. Vincent, $105/$95/$85/$70 + service charges
- Roger Hodgson The Legendary Voice of Supertramp, $125/$105/$85/$70 + service charges
- Bob James and David Sanborn with Special Guest Steve Gadd, $85/$70/$55/$40 + service charges
- Frampton's Guitars Circus, featuring Peter Frampton and Robert Cray, $125/$105/$85/$70 + service charges
Free Shows - All shows FREE! No tickets required. Shows go on rain or shine.
City of Rochester Jazz Street Stage Presented by The Community Foundation
June 21-29, all nine days on Gibbs Street (Jazz Street), concerts starting from 3:45pm and 4:15pm daily until 11. See full schedule at rochesterjazz.com.
City of Rochester East Avenue & Chestnut Street Stage Presented by Wegmans
June 21:7pm,Joshua Panda & The Hot Damned / 9pm,Dr. John
City of Rochester East Avenue & Chestnut Street Stage Presented by Rochester General Health System
June 22:7pm, Coupe De Villes / 9pm, Delbert McClinton
June 28:7pm, The James Hunter Six / 9pm, Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings
June 29:7pm, Thunder Body / 9pm, Monty Alexander's Harlem-Kingston Express
City of Rochester East Avenue & Alexander Street Stage Presented by Rochester General Health System
June 29: 7pm, Mingo Fishtrap / 9pm, Trombone Shorty
2013 marks the sixth year for the 'Made in the UK' concert series
, part of the Club Pass Series and held at Christ Church. Made in the UK has grown to become the largest presentation of British jazz outside of the United Kingdom.
This year's free scholarship concert on Monday June 24
will feature Mike Brignola with the Eastman Jazz Ensemble directed by Bill Dobbins. The winner(s) of the 2013 Scholarship will be announced at the concert. The festival has awarded more than $120,000 in scholarships to almost 30 Eastman School of Music students since 2002.
Twenty-one high school jazz bands, a record number, will perform
this year on the City of Rochester Jazz Street Stage presented by The Community Foundation. See rochesterjazz.com for the schedule.
In 2013 XRIJF will one again partner with WXXI
to produce televised concerts for distribution nationwide on PBS stations. Details will be announced in June.
What's New in 2013!
Jazz Workshops for Aspiring Music Students
- This new series of five structured jazz workshops will be hosted by Bob Sneider, Eastman School of Music Assistant Professor of Jazz Studies and Contemporary Media and Senior Instructor of Jazz Guitar, and led by five visiting international musicians performing at XRIJF. Aspiring students will have an opportunity to meet, listen to and learn from professional jazz musicians from overseas, and also play. Sponsored by Wegmans, the new series will be held in room 120, the Ray Wright Room, at Eastman School of Music from 1:00-2:30 p.m.
Workshops are open to all aspiring grade school and high school music students, no registration is required.
Free Shuttle Service Added
- Saturday, June 22 - Cleveland Watkiss, Voice
- Sunday, June 23 - Yolanda Brown, Saxophone
- Thursday, June 27 - Ryan Quigley, Trumpet
- Friday, June 28 - Jasper Hoiby, Acoustic Bass
- Saturday, June 29 - Gwylim Simcock, piano
- For all nine days of the festival a new free shuttle service will be available connecting festival fans with City parking garages making it easier to get to venues. The route will include multiple stops. The free service is being sponsored by AAA Horizon Club Tours and Simcona Electronics. The route and schedule will be announced in June.
Big Free Concert Added on First Friday on East Ave & Chestnut Stage Featuring Dr. John
- Dr. John, the universally celebrated living embodiment of the rich musical heritage exclusive to New Orleans will perform on June 21 at 9 p.m. in a free concert sponsored by Wegmans. Joshua Panda & The Hot Damned, a rising star in the music world from Vermont will open at 7.
Festival App for Android to be Launched
- In addition to the iPhone app introduced last year, this year the Festival will launch an app for Android users, which will be available for download in April.
- The Little Theatre 1 is being added as a new Club Pass Venue with 18 concerts over nine days.
Free Library Series is Back
- Monday June 24 - Friday June 28 with Mike Kaupa, Nik Finzer, Ted Nicolosi and Shared Jenes, Herb Smith, and Karl Stabnau.
New Venue Name
- The RGE-LiDestri Spirit Stage at the corner of Chestnut Street and East Ave will feature free concerts June 23 - 27 including the Bill Tiberio Band, Violet Mary, Calle Uno, Jimmie Highsmith Jr. Experience, and Customer Service & The Gem City Horns.
Full Schedule of Concerts
- See rochesterjazz.com for the complete lineup.
2013 Artists (in alphabetical order)
- 78 RPM Big Band, Aaron Goldberg Trio, Al Chez & The Brothers of Funk Big Band, Alfredo Rodriguez, Alfredo Rodriguez Trio, Amherst HS Jazz Band, Amy Lynn & The Gunshow, Anat Cohen, BeauSoleil avec Michael Doucet, Ben Taylor, Bill Dobbins, Bill Tiberio Band, Blaggards, Bob James & David Sanborn with Steve Gadd, Brad Turner Quartet, Brighton HS Jazz Band, Brockport Community Big Band, Brockport HS Jazz Band, Bruce Barth & Steve Nelson, Calle Uno, Canandaigua HS Jazz Band. Carmen Souza, Chris O'Leary Band, Christian McBride's Inside Straight, Christian Wallumrod Ensemble, Christine Tobin, Cleveland Watkiss, CNY Jazz Orchestra, Courtney Pine - House of Legends, Culture Clash with Carl Atkins, Curley Taylor & Zydeco Trouble, Customer City & The Gem City Horns, Cyrus Chestnut, Dave Rivello Ensemble, Dave Spinner B3 Band, David Byrne & St. Vincent, Delbert McClinton, Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Djabe, Dr. John Dr. Lonnie Smith Trio, Dwayne Dopsie & The Zydeco Hellraisers, Eastman Youth Jazz Orchestra, Eastman Youth Jazz Orchestra Senior Combo, Eastridge HS Jazz Band, ECMS Jazz Combo led by Bob Sneider, ECMS Jazz Combos led by Mike Kaupa & Paul Hofmann, ECMS Latin Jazz Ensemble, ECMS Saxology, Eero Koivistoinen Quartet, Eric Alexander - Harold Mabern Quartet, ESM Jazz Honors Unit, ESM-XRIJF Gerry Niewood Jazz Scholarships Performance, ESM-XRIJF Jazz Scholarships Alumni Combo, Fairport HS Jazz Band, Five Play, Frampton's Guitar Circus, Gap Mangione Big Band, Garland Jeffreys Band, Gas House Gorillas, Gates HS Jazz Band, Geoffrey Keezer, Giacomo Gates & Friends, Goldings-Stewart-Bernstein, Greater Rochester Jazz Orchestra, Greece Jazz Band, Greece- Athena HS Jazz Band, Greece- Olympia HS Jazz Band, Greece-Arcadia HS Jazz Band, Greenfield-Rosenberg Quartet, Gregoire Maret, Gregory Porter, Gretchen Parlato, Gwilym Simcock, Hackensaw Boys, Halie Loren Trio, Harold Danko, Herb Smith, Hilario Duran Trio, Hilton HS Jazz Band, Hiroya Tsukamoto & Satoshi Takeishi, Honeoye Falls HS Jazz Band, Howard Levy, Jack Allen Big Band, Jacob Karlzon & Viktoria Tolstoy, Jacob Karlzon 3, Jaimoe's Jasssz Band, Jimmie Highsmith Jr. Experience, John Mooney Band, John Nyerges Quartet, John Patitucci Trio, Josh Panda & The Hot Damned, Julian Arguelles Quartet, Karl Stabnau, Kurt Elling, Kurt Rosenwinkel Trio, Lee Fields & The Expressions, Lina Nyberg, Loren and Mark, Louis Armstrong Society Jazz Band, Marianne Trudel, Mario Romano Quartet, Marti Brom Band, Matt Herskowitz Bach to Brubeck!, MCC Jazz Band, Michael Mwenso, Michael Wollny, Mike Brignola and Friends, Mike Cottone Quartet, Mike Kaupa Quartet, Mingo Fishtrap, Monty Alexander's Harlem-Kingston Express, Music Educators Big Band Directed by Bill Tiberio, New Energy Jazz Orchestra, New Horizons Dance Band, New Horizons Vintage Jazz Band, New York Voices, Newark HS Jazz Band, Nik Finzer, Quincy Jones Presents: Nikki Yanofsky, Noah Preminger Quartet with Ben Monder, Patricia Barber, Paul Hofmann, Penfield HS Jazz Band, Phronesis, PINK MARTINI, Pittsford-Mendon HS Jazz Band, Pittsford-Sutherland HS Jazz Band, Prime Time Brass, Rafael Zaldivar, Ravi Coltrane Quartet, Ritmo Seis, Roberto Occhipinti Group, Robin McKelle & The Flytones, Rochester Metro Jazz Orchestra, Rocky Lawrence plays Robert Johnson, Roger Hodgson: The Legendary Voice of Supertramp, Rudresh Mahanthappa's Gamak, School of The Arts HS Jazz Band, Scottish National Jazz Orchestra, Shared Jenes, Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings, Shine On - The Universe of John Lennon, Shuffle Demons, Sicilian Jazz Project, Sienna Dahlen, Soul Stew, Soweto Kinch, Spencerport HS Jazz Band, Stretch Orchestra, Student Jazz Workshops at ESM Presented by Wegmans, Terell Stafford Quartet, The Black Lillies, The Coupe De Villes, The James Hunter Six, The Sneider Brothers, Thiefs, Thunder Body, Tim Berne SnakeOil, Torben Waldorff's Wah Wah, Trio Globo with Howard Levy, Trombone Shorty, Trondheim Jazz Orchestra, Two Siberians, Tyson Naylor Trio, US Jazz Ambassadors, Vince Ercolamento & Sidesteppin, Violet Mary, Webster Schroeder HS Jazz Band, Webster-Thomas HS Jazz Band, West Irondequoit HS Jazz Band, Willie Nelson & Family, XRIJF Nightly Jazz Session with The Bob Sneider Trio, Yellowjackets, YolanDa Brown, Youn Sun-Nah & Ulf Wakenius, Zoe Rahman
Tickets & Admission
- Club Pass Series: Entry is first-come, first-served cash only, at the door for $20/ $25 per show or with the Club Pass, on sale at rochesterjazz.com for $194 plus service charge ($6 if purchased online, $8 if mailed) until sold out. Club show tickets are not available in advance.
- Headliner Shows: Tickets available at rochesterjazz.com.
- Jam Sessions at the Rochester Plaza Hotel State St. Bar & Grill: free admission,nightly from 10:30 p.m.
- Outdoor Stages: free, no tickets required, all shows rain or shine.
- Download the official XRIJF App for iPhones from iTunes. New this year, the festival will also offer an app for Android devices. Visit rochesterjazz.com for the full schedule, map, venue information, artist bios & photos.
- The Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival presented by M&T Bank was founded in 2002 and is produced by John Nugent, Artistic Director and Marc Iacona, Executive Director. The 2012 Festival drew more than 187,000 music lovers to hear some of the finest artists in the world perform.
NOTE TO EDITORS: See Press Room at rochesterjazz.com for
high res artist photos, the Map & Schedule Grid