New York's Spookiest Halloween Events for Families Offer Fall Fun in the Catskills
Greene County, N.Y.
- This October, venture into the Catskills, home of legendary family-friendly adventure, for a perfect mountain retreat to enjoy the vibrant fall foliage, explore hiking trails and enjoy the treats of Halloween without the tricks.
The Great Northern Catskills of Greene County are located just two hours north of New York City and three hours west of Boston - offering Halloween fun for all ages, fall festivals, hotel packages and off-the-beaten-path attractions. Awaken to Adventure in the Great Northern Catskills of Greene County with autumn events and attractions including:
- 20th Annual Apple Harvest Festival in Cairo, October 12-13, offers two days of family fun including food, crafts, live music, amusement rides, pony rides, an Apple Pie Baking Contest and more. Admission is $3 for adults and $1 for kids ages 5 and under.
- 18th Annual Windham Autumn Affair Street Festival, October 12-13, features craft and food vendors, entertainment and fall-themed activities from 10 am -5pm. Free admission.
- Prattsville Art Center's Haunted House, October 31, thrilling chills and spooky scares await at this haunted house with trick-or-treating, Halloween performances and a costume dance party from 6-10 pm.
- Hull-O Farms Corn Maze in Durham is a must-stop for any adventurer, offering mystifying twists and turns through several acres. The farm also offers hay rides, pumpkin picking and farm fresh goodies. Admission is $7 for adults, $5 for children ages 4-14 and free for children three and under.
- Bailiwick Ranch & Discovery Zoo offers an unforgettably spooky haunted hay ride every Friday and Saturday in October. Rides begin at 7 pm and reservations are required.
- Massacre Mansion in East Durham is a must-visit in October. Prepare for spine-tingling chills and thrills in the attraction's gothic cemetery overseen by "Crazy Joe" the gravedigger, and explore the spooky two-story Victorian house. Open Friday through Sunday, 7-11 pm. Admission is $15.
Greene County offers a number of fall-themed lodging packages that make the most of fall in the mountains. Book the Winter Clove Inn's Halloween Weekend Package
and enjoy an all-inclusive getaway in the heart of the mountains including two nights' accommodations, three meals a day, free Halloween activities for kids including pumpkin painting, bon fires, haunted hayrides and a costume party dinner for everyone. Guests may enjoy the Inn's indoor heated pool, 9-hole golf course, bowling, and more. Package available October 25-27 and rates start at $120 per person, per night. Children three and under are free.
Enjoy Halloween events at any age with the Great Northern Catskills of Greene County's Halloween-themed packages, including:
About Greene County:
- Halloween Weekend at Glen Falls House's adults-only getaway package includes two nights' accommodations, meals, grown-up skits, a costume contest and more. Rates are $173 per person, based on double occupancy. Package is available October 25-27.
- Gavin's Halloween Weekend kicks off November 2-3 and includes two nights' accommodations, meals, two house parties, all-day trick-or-treating, and a costume parade with prizes, live Irish music and more. Rates start at $129 per person based on double occupancy.
Greene County is located in the Great Northern Catskill Mountains and the verdant Hudson River Valley. The region is home to five of the 10 highest Catskill Peaks and the Catskill State Park and is known as the nation's first wilderness. Renowned as the home of Thomas Cole's Hudson River School and the inspiration for Washington Irving's literary legend, Rip Van Winkle, the Catskills are a haven for outdoor recreation and artistic inspiration. Visit http://www.greatnortherncatskills.com/
for more information.