Colonel Youmans will bring new information and insights into the May 5-6, 1814 British amphibious attack on Oswego intended to delay American ship construction at Sackets Harbor. The attack resulted in the destruction of Fort Ontario, military warehouses, and the capture of cannon, munitions, naval stores, and supplies.
"The political situation, tactical operations, command structure, key individuals, naval and land forces involved, preparations, results, and the long term implications and human toll of the Battle of Oswego will be discussed by one of the nation's pre-eminent historians of the War of 1812," said Paul Lear, Superintendent of Fort Ontario State Historic Site.
Colonel Youmans served in the United States Army as an infantryman for 30 years before retiring with the rank of Colonel in 1998; he holds degrees from the University of Tampa (B.S.), the University of South Florida (M.S.), and the University of Florida (Juris Doctor). The former editor of the Quarterly Journal of the War of 1812, Colonel Youmans travels the U.S. and Canada lecturing on the War of 1812 at symposiums and conventions. He has published numerous articles on the War of 1812 as well.
In 2012 Youmans was presented with the Spirit of 1812 Award by the DeVane Chapter of the Daughters of 1812. This prestigious award is presented to individuals with a "distinguished record of study, promotion, and dedication to the preservation of the history or people, places, and events of the War of 1812."
The July 16 program is sponsored by the Oswego County War of 1812 Bicentennial Committee. Admission is free and open to the public. Fort Ontario State Historic Site is located at the north of East Fourth Street in the City of Oswego. For more information on the program or fort, contact Paul Lear, Superintendent, at (315) 343-4711.
Image: Storming Fort Oswego, on Lake Ontario, North America. May 6, 1814. Drawn by Captain Steele. Engraved by R. Havell & Son, London; Published April 8, 1817. Image depicts removal of British wounded and dead off Flat Rock, by the Post Cemetery at Fort Ontario.