Greene County, N.Y. - The Great Northern Catskills of Greene come alive during the holidays, offering a storybook setting ideal for a weekend ski trip to Hunter or Windham Mountains, and other memorable getaways with friends and family.
This holiday season, the Catskills offer an array of themed events to celebrate the season, including:
• Tannersville Annual Holiday Craft Fair & Spirits of the Holidays - On November 29, the "Painted Village in the Sky" will host their annual holiday festival and craft fair from 10 am to 4 pm at locations throughout the village. Visit with Santa, Frosty the Snowman and Sparky the Fire Dog, mail a wish list to the North Pole and watch the tree lighting at 5 pm.
• 17th Annual Christmas in Durham - Slated for December 6, this annual festival includes fireworks, children's holiday activities, tree lighting and a visit from the Jolly Old Elf himself at the Michael J. Quill Cultural Center in East Durham, from 3 - 5 pm.
• Windham Holiday Festival - On December 13, featuring a holiday craft fair, horse-drawn carriage rides and the annual tree lighting and Christmas carols from 10 am - 5 pm at the Windham Centre Church.
• 2014 Annual Athens Victorian Stroll - Scheduled for December 13, the event is set to offer horse-drawn trolley rides, a chocolate station, performance by the Hudson Valley Bells, community band concert, craft vendors, dance performances, wine tastings and more, from 1 - 5:30 pm at various locations throughout Athens.
• Skiing and Riding Santa Day at Windham Mountain - On December 14, grab your skis, boots, snowboard and Santa suit - yes, Santa suit - and head to Windham Mountain to claim one of 300 free lift tickets. Santas are required to pre-register as there are a limited number of spots open. Registered participants dressed head-to-toe as Santa will receive two midweek, non-holiday vouchers for free skiing and riding. $20 donation required, which benefits local charities.
Greene County is nestled in the Catskill Mountains just two hours north of New York City and three hours west of Boston, offering a festive getaway close to home. Ski, stay and play in Greene County for the holidays and enjoy reduced rates on lodging packages, as well as fun extras such as chopping your own Christmas tree, or discount lift tickets to Hunter and Windham mountain ski resorts.
Holiday Lodging Packages in the Great Northern Catskills
Winter Clove's Cut Your Own Tree & Visit Santa Holiday Weekend offers holiday-themed activities including tree decorating, craft making, movie night, a complimentary tree or balsam wreath to take home, and a visit from Santa Claus. The package also includes overnight accommodations, three meals daily, and plenty of time to enjoy Winter Clove's cross country ski trails, bowling alley and indoor pool. Rates start at $120 per adult, per night. Special rates apply for children ages 4-17, and children 3 years and younger stay free. Available December 5-7, and December 12-14.
The Winwood Inn at Windham Mountain Resort's Ski & Stay Package includes overnight accommodations, a lift ticket, complimentary breakfast and shuttle to and from the mountain. Available during non-holiday periods throughout the season. Rates start at $159 per night, based on double occupancy.
The Evergreen at The Thompson House's Ski & Stay package is available for both Hunter and Windham Mountains. Book your stay and get discount vouchers to either ski resort. Rates start at $184, and vary depending upon availability and mountain preference. Package available from December 19, 2014 through March 1, 2015.
For additional winter packages in the Great Northern Catskills of Greene County, or to find more details about holiday events, go to www.greatnortherncatskills.com.
About Greene County:
Greene County is the Great Northern Catskills, home to five of the 10 highest peaks in the Catskill Park, family resorts, outdoor adventure and year-round entertainment. Known as the nation's first wilderness, and renowned as the home of Thomas Cole's Hudson River School, the Catskills are a haven for outdoor recreation and artistic inspiration. Greene County was also the inspiration for Washington Irving's literary legend, Rip Van Winkle. Connect with the Catskills at www.Facebook.com/GreatNorthernCatskills, and on www.Twitter.com/CatskillTourism