Known as Little Sri Lanka, Tompkinsville Offers Visitors a Unique Cultural, Dining and Outdoor Experience
New York, N.Y.
- NYC & Company, New York City's official marketing, tourism and partnership organization, today announced Tompkinsville as the next destination to be featured in Neighborhood x Neighborhood
. Known as Little Sri Lanka, Tompkinsville offers visitors and residents the opportunity to taste the flavors of southern Asia, enjoy the neighborhood's parks and partake in diverse cultural events and activities, all without ever leaving New York City. Accessible by ferry and the Staten Island Railway, Tompkinsville is ideal for a day trip for New Yorkers and visitors looking to explore the serene tree-lined streets of one of the City's most welcoming communities. For "Must-See Tompkinsville" highlights and more, visit nycgo.com/neighborhoods
A small neighborhood situated in the northeast corner of Staten Island, Tompkinsville has one of the largest-and still growing-Sri Lankan communities in the United States. With traditional southern Asian food and culture, this neighborhood is known for its casual dining, greenery, cultural institutions and a love for the sport of cricket.
"Must-See Tompkinsville" Highlights
The following venues and more are featured on nycgo.com/neighborhoods.
- Taking the free Staten Island Ferry offers some of the best views of the New York Harbor and Manhattan skyline, and is a convenient way to visit Staten Island.
- For an authentic Sri Lankan dining experience with great ambience, head to neighborhood favorites Lak Bojun, Lakruwana or Sanrasa Restaurant. Local takeout spot New Asha is known for serving national specialties, such as rice and curry. Lanka Grocery is the go-to spot for Sri Lankan teas, spices and fruits, as well as CDs, newspapers and other goods from the island.
- Tompkinsville is also home to restaurants serving American bistro and Spanish cuisines. A few blocks from the Staten Island Ferry Terminal, 120 Bay Cafe serves everything from crab cakes and burgers to classic New York strip steaks. Gatsby's on the Bay serves upscale traditional American fare. Tapas offers a menu of small plates and turns up the music at night, making it a favorite spot for dancing.
- For cultural events in Tompkinsville, look no further than Deep Tanks Studio, the Staten Island LGBT Community Center or NYC Arts Cypher.
- Silver Lake Park offers visitors and residents the chance to head outside and experience Staten Island's natural beauty.
Visitors looking to experience more of Staten Island can extend their stay at one of the borough's hotels. A few options include the Comfort Inn Staten Island
and Holiday Inn Express-Staten Island
, select service hotels both offering free breakfast and free Internet access. In addition, for a more full-service experience, the Hilton Garden Inn New York/Staten Island
offers an indoor pool along with dining and nightlife options, including Above Rooftop Lounge and Lorenzo's Restaurant, Bar and Cabaret, featuring Tony Award-winning performers on select nights. All three hotels provide complimentary shuttle service to and from the Staten Island Ferry Terminal (based on advance reservations and scheduling).
Neighborhood x Neighborhood: The Essential Guide to NYC
New York City is made up of five distinct boroughs: the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island. The Neighborhood x Neighborhood initiative spotlights the affordability and accessibility of these diverse communities, including areas that have seen new hotel development in recent years. Neighborhoods and featured highlights are chosen in collaboration with community leaders and with consideration of NYC & Company's more than 2,000 members.
In order to continue to grow New York City's tourism industry, Neighborhood x Neighborhood targets repeat visitors, intrepid first-time visitors and New Yorkers seeking new adventures here in their home city. The campaign was designed to highlight the diversity of offerings in New York City's five boroughs, encourage exploration in areas outside traditional tourist locations and generate economic activity in the featured neighborhoods.
Neighborhood x Neighborhood is produced by NYC & Company and its Presenting Sponsor, Santander Bank, N.A.
The sponsorship includes production of taxi videos each month and bus stop shelters and street-pole banners highlighting the selected neighborhoods.
For more information about Tompkinsville and other things to see and do across New York City, visit nycgo.com/neighborhoods
. To read the monthly Neighborhood x Neighborhood press releases and to view B-roll and photos of neighborhood highlights, visit nycgo.com/pressphotos
. Follow @nycgo_press on Twitter for the latest information about New York City travel and tourism.
About NYC & Company:
NYC & Company is the official marketing, tourism and partnership organization for the City of New York, dedicated to maximizing travel and tourism opportunities throughout the five boroughs, building economic prosperity and spreading the positive image of New York City worldwide. For more information, visit nycgo.com