Syracuse (August 21, 2018) -- Onondaga County visitors spent approximately $865 million locally in 2017, according to a Tourism Economics report released by New York State. The report highlights tourism trends throughout the state and each of its regions, including the 14-county Finger Lakes vacation region.
“The numbers show that our local tourism industry is stable,” said Visit Syracuse President Danny Liedka. “We are focused on doing our part to help these numbers climb, and to show that Onondaga County is a first class destination.”
Onondaga County Numbers released from the 2017 Tourism Economics Report:
- Spending - Visitors spent approximately $865 million in 2017, equal to 2016.
- Taxes - Tourism generated $66.5 million in local taxes in (1.4 percent increase from 2016).
- Employment - Tourism supports more than 17,000 jobs in Onondaga County.
- Payroll - Labor income in Onondaga County is more than $410 million representing 3.4 percent of the county’s overall labor income.
- Region - Onondaga County is recognized as one of the 14 counties of the Finger Lakes tourism region and according to the report, visitor spending was up 2.4 percent across the region. Onondaga County represents about 30 percent of the Finger Lake region’s tourism sales. It is the second largest county in that region.
Tourism helps to stimulate the state and local economy. In fact, New York State tourism generated $8.5 billion in state and local taxes in 2017, saving each NYS household an average of $1,172 in taxes. With a record-high 243.8 million visitors in 2017, generating an economic impact of $108.7 billion - the fourth-straight year at $100+ billion - tourism is now the state’s third-largest employer.
New York State Executive Director of Tourism Ross D. Levi said, "While there are always macro factors that impact tourism, our impressive statewide numbers undoubtedly reflect the collective efforts of the state's tourism industry to make New York a premier destination for domestic and international visitors. By continuing our work with partners like Visit Syracuse, we hope to entice even more tourists to Onondaga County and Upstate New York on their next vacation."
“We are pleased with the report and we are certainly looking forward to next year’s numbers – as this year’s 40,000 bowlers should definitely have a major impact on the 2018 report,” Liedka said.
The 2017 New York State Tourism Impact report, released by Empire State Development, is an annual analysis of tourism impacts provided by Tourism Economics, an internationally recognized travel data firm.
For more information, contact Visit Syracuse Communications Director Nikita Jankowski (315) 470-1903 or NJankowski@VisitSyracuse.com.
About Visit Syracuse
Visit Syracuse, Inc. is Onondaga County's official marketing organization for tourism related economic development; leading the production of over $865 million in direct visitor spending annually. The organization aims to strengthen the positive awareness of the City of Syracuse and Onondaga County as a convention and visitor destination; to increase revenues and stimulate economic development and growth for the community.
315.470.1903 direct line