Sackets Harbor, N.Y. - American Volkssport Association (AVA) Northeast Regional Director Doug Reynolds will help inaugurate the first-ever non-competitive Great Lakes Seaway Trail VolksWalk Saturday, September 24, 2011 in Sackets Harbor, NY. Reynolds will be at the registration and welcome booth at the Great Lakes Seaway Trail Discovery Center, 401 W. Main Street, from 8:30am-1:30pm. Walkers for the September 24th Great Lakes Seaway Trail VolksWalk are expected from Albany, Buffalo, the Finger Lakes and Canada. Great Lakes Seaway Trail VolksWalkers in 1812 period costume will also be on hand. This first of different theme walks honors the New York-Pennsylvania National Scenic Byway region's War of 1812 history. For more information, contact Great Lakes Seaway Trail Volkssport Association Trailmaster Daryl Giles at 315-646-1000 x200, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.seawaytrail.com/volkssport. This new healthy adventure program is a program of the nonprofit Seaway Trail Foundation. # More Information:
- The Great Lakes Seaway Trail is a National Scenic Byway, a National Recreation Trail, and a state bicycle route in New York and Pennsylvania.
- Volkssports are leisure-paced healthy outdoor recreation opportunities - walking, swimming, bicycling, cross-country skiing, etc. - for people of all ages.
- The September 24th War of 1812-themed leisure walking event in Sackets Harbor will begin at the Great Lakes Seaway Trail Discovery Center, 401 W. Main Street, with registration 8:30am-1pm. Walks of 5km (3miles) and 10km (6miles) start at 9 am.
- Great Lakes Seaway Trail Volkssport Association President & Trailmaster Daryl Giles participated in her first Volkswalk when her husband Dean was with the military in Germany. She is working with walking enthusiasts along the 518-mile length of the Great Lakes Seaway Trail National Scenic Byway to develop Walks in their areas. Interested communities can contact Daryl at 315-646-1000 x200, email@example.com.
- Two other AVA-sanctioned clubs on the Great Lakes Seaway Trail: the Niagara Frontier Volkssport Club and Niagara Escarpment Volkssport Association are based in Buffalo, NY.
- Walks of 3.1 miles (5 km) or 6.2 miles (10km) may be enjoyed at one's own pace individually, as families or groups, or with a pet where permitted.
- "The pace of the Volksmarching walks fits perfectly with the Great Lakes Seaway Trail motto of exploring our byway ‘in your own time, at your own pace, and in your own style'," says Great Lakes Seaway Trail President & CEO Teresa Mitchell. "If this healthy "let's get up and move" initiative grabs the public's attention as much as the Great Lakes Seaway Trail geocaching adventure that began in 2010, we expect to see a similar positive impact on our byway communities Trailwide."
- Sackets Harbor, NY, home to the Great Lakes Seaway Trail headquarters and the Seaway Trail Discovery Center, had an active Volksmarch walking club known as the North Country Wanderers from 1975 to 2007.
###Contact: Daryl Giles, Great Lakes Seaway Trail Volkssport Association President & Trailmaster, 315-646-1000 x200; AVA NE Regional Director Doug Reynolds, 518-286-3057, firstname.lastname@example.org Photo: Great Lakes Seaway Trail Discovery Center, site of new VolksWalk registration and welcome kickoff. Photo: George Fischer