Brooklyn, N.Y. - The 2014 Investors Bank Bayfest: Brooklyn's Largest Waterfront Celebration - "Bringing Back the Bay!" - is taking place Sunday, May 18 from noon to 6pm at Emmons Avenue and East 27th Street in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn. Kicking off Brooklyn's summer scene and spanning a half-mile of the Sheepshead Bay piers, the Bayfest offers over a dozen acts on two stages, numerous piers, and even a boat!
What makes BayFest different? Well, not only is it Brooklyn's largest waterfront celebration, but it's NYC's only vendor-less event of its kind. There's no admission and everything at BayFest is FREE, starting with the music! BayFest is still here, 23 years and going strong!
The theme of this year's BayFest is "Bringing Back the Bay" (after Sandy). The goal is to bring attention to Sheepshead Bay's beautiful waterfront, support the revitalization of local businesses, and give people just a little more hope that, after a tough year, better days lie ahead.
Who produces BayFest? Founded in 1992, the Bay Improvement Group (BayFest's organizer) is a not-for-profit 501(c)3 coalition of residents, businesses, and community groups dedicated to the preservation, revitalization, and planning of Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn. BayFest is an all-volunteer community event at which all are welcome.
Emmons Avenue from East 27th Street (main stage)
Bedford Avenue (second stage)
Piers (Piers 4-10)
In the water west of Pier 10 ("Dragonfly's Banquet" boat)
Photos of performers may be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v2v7a9motkwgdf7/vxRICKlDWg
• STRAWBERRY FIELDS. To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Beatles in America, BayFest will showcase Broadway's premier Beatles tribute band, nationally known for deliver exciting, faithful renditions of the Fab Four's music in costume. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dncIl1uWtk
• DARNAA. An indie/pop sensation, whose music, lyrics and passionate vocals tell the courageous story of her personal struggles and, more importantly, her (and all of our) ability to overcome them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-VgE1ipEwE
• ADRIANA LOUISE of "The Voice" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MyWnDaQv2o
• BIG MIKE LYNCHE of "American Idol" and "Good Day New York" http://eastcoastband.com/michael-lynche-american-idol-season-9/
• THE EAST COAST BAND, providing professional musical backup for Adriana Louise and Big Mike Lynche https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKvtOAzO_-o
• THE DRAGONFLIES on Rockaway's colorful "Dragonfly's Banquet" boat (see interesting article on its history here: http://www.sheepsheadbites.com/2012/09/spotted-dragonfly-banquet-a-floating-mural-and-artists-collective/)
• ANNIKA, WNYC's Battle of the Boroughs Winner (Queens) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohhUDx22MbE
• NANDO GRIFFITHS, Battle of the Boroughs Finalist (Bronx) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md2S1fETSQg&feature=youtu.be
• AMY LYNN & THE GUNSHOW https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thFhJHIBWlo
• GIANT FLYING TURTLES https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na68mIugrho
• TWO CENT SAM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2YgMJfmvXo
• INNER SITUATION https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UfXMPDG2II
• MASTER LIN, Tai Chi Expert https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIxSyHFwTIo&list=UUYHtICJiRB1EJqLyhR_hrdw
• U.S. NAVY Color Guard
• Special Guests
Kids will enjoy:
• arts and crafts
• giant inflatable bounce
• mobile Game Show
• face painting and cartoon characters
• Tai Chi demonstration by expert Master Lin
• Aviator Artistic gymnastics team
• FDNY Smokehouse
• Surprise additions (shhh!)
FREEBIES & RAFFLES
• Giveaways at corporate tables
• Raffles of goods and services of local merchants
• Special Raffle for 4 Disney World day passes (valued at $500)
• Tables manned by representatives of over a dozen organizations offering recovery resources, referrals, and disaster preparedness training, including the American Red Cross, New York Cares, Mental Health Association of NYC, and Pet Safe Coalition.
SPONSORS AND VOLUNTEERS WELCOME!
• Sponsors may download and complete our Sponsor Form from our website at www.bigbayfest.org. (The submission deadline has been extended.)
• Volunteers should email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 718-646-9206 for dates, times, and places of orientation meetings. The first orientatin will be on Tuesday, May 6, at 8pm at El Greco Diner, 1821 Emmons Ave (corner of Sheephead Bay Road). (We'll be in the corner on the left as you walk in.)
For more information, visit www.bigbayfest.org or call 718-646-9206.