- 1. Your heart is about the same size as your fist.
- 2. The heart circulates the body's blood supply about 1,000 times each day.
- 3. The heart pumps the equivalent of 5,000 to 6,000 quarts of blood each day.
- 4. The "thump-thump" sound you hear in a heartbeat is the sound of the valves shutting.
- 5. The muscles in your heart can create enough pressure to squirt blood 30 feet.
- 6. By the time you turn 70, your heart will have beat some two-and-a-half billion times (figuring on an average of 70 beats per minute).
- 7. Your heart beats over 100,000 times a day.
- 8. Your heart rate can rise as much as 30% during a yawn.
- 9. A donated heart can last three to five hours outside of the body.
- 10. The three main factors of heart disease are smoking, high blood cholesterol, and high blood pressure.
BODIES...The Exhibition Unveils Huge Heart Via New York Water Taxi in front of Manhattan Skyline
Aug 16, 2012 by I Love New York Staff