Tournaments, Charters and Deals for Every Angler
Albany, NY - When it comes to fresh water fishing, New York State has it all: salmon, trout, walleye, pike, Muskie, shad and panfish. And if you're a salt water fishing enthusiast, you won't want to miss the chance to cast your line in the Long Island Sound and the Atlantic Ocean for bluefish, flounder or big game fish like yellowfin tuna, giant tuna and shark! Are you new to fishing? Do you want to try it for the first time? New York's Free Fishing Days 2011, June 25-26, make it easy, as no license is required by anyone for these two days, resident or non-resident (although all rules and regulations must be followed). Check out just some of the great fishing opportunities in New York State over the coming months! Charters Situated on the northeast corner of Oneida Lake in Cleveland, NY, Anglers' Bay Cottages & Marina has partnered with three separate licensed captains/guides, along with a caterer, to offer guided fishing charters of Oneida Lake daily from May 7 - October 31. Rates start at $125 for a day-long charter. For more information visit http://www.fishoneida.com/, email email@example.com or call (315) 675-3662. Accommodations and catering options are also available. Sodus Point Lodge in Sodus Point wants you to fish with the pros and experience the rush of landing a 35-pound king salmon. Lake Ontario is rich with cohoe, brown trout, steelhead, and rainbow trout, adding up to some of the best fishing you'll ever experience. Your charter boat has all the latest and greatest technology to zero in on your trophy catch. Their charter package includes lodging, a full or half day of fishing, all fishing equipment, a cleaning station, full breakfast and packed lunch. Contact the Sodus Point Lodge for all details and packages at (315) 553-2056 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Long Island Fishing Getaway Get away to Long Island and enjoy fishing at the Montauk Yacht Club Resort & Marina! Come aboard the Masterpiece Charter Boat at the marina for a fun-filled half day of Montauk's world famous saltwater fishing. Through November, The Masterpiece Fishing Charters offers inshore and offshore fishing adventures that are fun for experienced fishermen or families out for their first fishing experiences. The package includes a three-hour fishing trip for up to six people and overnight deluxe hotel accommodations based on availability. For more information visit http://www.montaukyachtclub.com/ or call (631) 668-7710. (Blackout dates may apply.) Angels & Anglers His & Her Package From Seneca County's Central Finger Lakes Getaways & Holidays comes the Angels & Anglers His & Her Package, a fun- and activity-packed adventure starting at $400 per couple. For the ladies, it's a great opportunity to shop, spa and relax. You'll receive an in-room massage and VIP Coupon book to Waterloo Premium Outlets, complete with lunch. For the guys it's a chance to grab your fishing poles and head out on the water, either by charter boat or kayak, for some great angling. When you're done fishing, you'll enjoy a catered lunch featuring your catch, and if the big one gets away, a substitute picnic lunch will be provided. In the evening, everyone will meet up for a relaxing lakeside dinner together to swap fish - and shopping - tales. For more information please visit http://www.fingerlakescentral.com/ or call (315) 568-2906. School of Fish In Washington County, the Georgi Musem in Shushan is hosting a Women's Fly Fishing Weekend, June 10-12, sponsored by Ted Berndt's Battenkill Guide Service. Lessons will be given 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. on Saturday and 8 a.m. to noon on Sunday, with students free to fish on their own afterward. Skills taught include casting techniques, essential knots, choosing gear and tackle, stream entomology, proper fly selection, how to "read" water, and how to play, land and safely release fish. Ted's is partnering with the Georgi Museum and Battenkill Valley Outdoors to provide two nights' accommodations at Long Lodge in Cambridge, NY, including shuttle transportation. The cost for lodging is $225 per person, double occupancy; the cost for the fly fishing school is $160 per person. A New York State fishing license is required. For more information email email@example.com or call (518) 321-4033. http://www.battenkillvalleyoutdoors.com/Finished%20Pages/Accomodations.htm http://www.thegeorgi.com/ This summer, Willow Pond Aqua Farm in Canandaigua is offering a variety of fishing programs, including fly fishing and spin fishing. Willow Pond has one- and two-day classes for individuals, families, groups of women and large groups. The ponds at the facility are full of fish and offer a beautiful setting to learn the sport. If you choose the spin fishing class, you'll be introduced to assembling fishing tackle, basic knot tying and casting techniques. You'll also get a brief overview on how to safely catch and release fish. If fly fishing is more your thing, you'll learn about the equipment used and how to set it up, basic knot tying, stripping and shooting the line and different casting techniques. You'll also learn ways to identify what the fish are eating. Prices and dates can be found at http://www.gofishny.com/. The Return of the Two-Fly Challenge The 12th Annual Ausable River Two-Fly challenge returns to Wilmington in the Adirondacks from May 20-21. Anglers are invited to cast a line into the famed West Branch of the Ausable River for two days of competition in which participants catch-and-release using just two flies. The Two-Fly challenge begins on a Friday morning with registration and a day of fishing. Friday evening features a "get together" fly tying demonstration, drinks and snacks. Saturday, participants spend up to 10 hours angling on the river and follow up with dinner, guest speaker, award ceremony and silent raffle. For more information visit http://www.whitefaceregion.com/. Something to Carp About Wild Carp Week is a series of international fishing tournaments taking place May 14-21 in Baldwinsville and Liverpool. It's five carp angling tournaments in seven days! The featured event, the Wild Carp Classic, showcases some of the world's best carp anglers competing for up to $30,000 in prizes. Throughout the week, Wild Carp Companies offers family entertainment that is free and open to the public. For more information visit http://www.wildcarpcompanies.com/. August 18-20 the 9th Annual St. Lawrence International Junior Carp Tournament takes place on the St. Lawrence River from Massena west to Ogdensburg. The nation's largest junior carp fishing contest lures kids ages 11 to 18 and their families to the river for competition, fishing school, and fun. More than 100 two-person teams from the United States, England, France, Holland, Germany, Russia, Poland, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Canada, South Africa, Romania, Japan, Ukraine and Bosnia are expected for the Carp Angling World Championship, September 24-30, in Waddington on the St. Lawrence River. For more information on these events, visit the St. Lawrence County Chamber of Commerce's web site at http://www.northcountryguide.com/. World Class Fishing in St. Lawrence County From the shores of the St. Lawrence River to famous Black Lake and beyond, St. Lawrence County offers "a greater variety of true trophy angling than any place on earth," according Don Meissner, host of "Rod & Reel Streamside" on PBS. Upcoming spring and summer fishing events include the Wounded Warriors Fishing Tournament, June 4 in Ogdensburg, in which wounded soldiers from nearby Fort Drum and their families will spend a day on the river as the soldiers engage in competitive fishing. On July 24, check out the New York Bass Angler Sportsman Society (B.A.S.S.) bass fishing tournament on the St. Lawrence River at Massena. This major qualifying tournament for the annual Bassmaster Classic is being held for the first time in the area and is expected to draw anglers from across the Northeast and Canada. Upcoming Fishing Events May
- Free Fly Casting Clinic, Southaven County Park, Brookhaven, May 14. This clinic will introduce the basics of fly casting. Experienced fly casters will work with participants on the fundamentals of how to cast a fly rod. For more information visit www.artflicktu.org or call (631) 465-0513.
- Rip Van Winkle Rod Striper, various locations on the Hudson River throughout Greene County, May 7. Call (518) 678-2144 for more information.
- The Annual Oneida Lake Walleye Tournament, May 7-8. For more information call (315) 699-5154.
- Wayne County Grandslam Youth Fishing Derby, May 7-August 17. A tournament in which children aged 4-16 years fish in Wayne County waters. For more information call (800) 527-6510 or visit http://www.waynecountytourism.com/.
- First Annual Wilson Harbor Invitational Salmon Tournament, May 13-14 (15) in Wilson. This new salmon tournament's $800 entry fee includes Big Fish Friday and a one day big bucks tournament during prime time for spring fishing. For more information on how you can receive an invitation, call (716) 863-1001. Check out http://www.wilsonharborinvitational.com/ for details.
- 19th Annual Youth Fishing Derby, Potomac Pond at the Finger Lakes National Forest, Hector, May 14. The derby is open to kids up to age 12. Fun prizes will be awarded and food for the kids will be available. Pre-registration is encouraged; please call (607) 546-4470.
- Jr. Angler Fly Fishing Clinic, Caleb Smith State Park Preserve, Smithtown, May 21 and June 4. For more information visit http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/124/details.aspx or call (631) 265-1054.
- National Lake Trout Derby, Seneca Lake, May 28-30. The 47th Annual Derby takes place Memorial Day weekend on Seneca Lake with weigh stations in Geneva, Sampson and Watkins Glen. Over $21,000 in prizes will be awarded, including a $5000 grand prize. Visit http://www.laketroutderby.org/ or call (315) 781-2195 for more information.
- Season Flounder (Fluke) Tournament, Freeport, June 1 - August 31. Sponsored by Fish My Bonni Charters, every person chartering the My Bonnie IV from June 1 through August 31, 2011 is automatically entered into a season long Summer Flounder (Fluke) tournament, with prizes awarded at the end of the season. For more information visit http://www.fishmybonni.com/ or call (516) 319-6266.
- The Lake Ontario Counties Summer Trout and Salmon Derby, June 18 - July 17 on Lake Ontario. The Lake Ontario counties annually host a series of the world's best freshwater tournaments know as the LOC Derby. Thousands of anglers hit the lake each year in pursuit of thousands of dollars in cash prizes for salmon, lake trout, brown trout and rainbow/steelhead trout. Registration sites and weigh stations are located along the entire southern Lake Ontario shoreline. For further information call (888) 733-5246 or (585) 545-4247, or visit http://www.loc.org/.
- 5th Annual Buffalo Sabres Alumni Spring Salmon Spectacular, June 2 in Olcott. This is a special fishing celebration with the names that have helped to make the Buffalo Sabres a household word the past 40 years. Your participation helps raise money for local charities! Visit http://www.sabresalumni.com/ for all the details.
- Annual Catfish Derby, Susquehanna River, Owego, June 4-5, 7 a.m. Saturday to noon Sunday. For more information visit http://www.vva480.org/ or call (607) 687-7531 or (607) 821-2912.
- 27th Annual Skip Hartman Memorial Lake Ontario Pro-Am Salmon Team Tournament June 4-5. This prestigious fishing competition pits teams of anglers against one another using a unique scoring system over two days of fishing. Last year, more than $70,000 was paid out in cash and prizes. For more info call (877) FALLS US or log onto the tournament website at http://www.lakeontarioproam.net/ for rules and signup information.
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service "Fish and Wildlife Festival" at Hyde Park in Niagara Falls, June 4. This popular event will tentatively be held in Hyde Park from 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. In conjunction, a kids' fishing derby, traditionally run by the Niagara River Anglers Association, will take place at Hyde Park Lake from 8 a.m. until 11:30 a.m, showcasing loads of displays, special activities and live entertainment. For more information contact USFWS at (716) 691-5456.
- 5th Annual Orleans County Pro-Am Tournament, June 10-12. For more information visit http://www.lakeontarioproam.net/ or call (585) 589-3103.
- Barge Canal Bassmasters Cayuga Lake Open Bass Tournament, Cayuga Lake, June 18. For more information visit http://www.bcbass.com/.
- NYS Bass Chapter Federation Tournament, Northern Lake George, June 19. For more information call (315) 662-7925 or visit www.ticonderogany.com/fishing.html.
- Annual Montauk Marine Basin Shark Tag Tournament, Montauk, June 23-25. Call (631) 668-5900 for more Information.
- The 11th Annual K&G Lodge All Women's Fishing Tournament, June 24-26 in Oswego. For more information, including registration details, call (315) 343-8171, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit http://www.kglodge.com/. Admission to the tournament is $385 per person.
- The 1st Annual Sandy Pond Sportsman's Association Bass Tournament, June 25 in Sandy Creek. For more information call (315) 387-6310, email Harvspsa@Gmail.com or visit http://www.sandypondsportsman.com/.
- North East Team Bass Tournament, Northern Lake George, June 26. For more information call (518) 221-9307 or visit www.ticonderogany.com/fishing.html.
- The 17th Annual Lake Ontario Pro-Am Salmon & Trout Team Tournament, July 9-10 in Oswego. A competition with amateur and professional teams competing for cash and prizes, the event has teams fishing from the ports of Oswego, Mexico and Port Ontario. Call (315) 349-8322 or visit http://www.lakeontarioproam.net/.
- 21st Annual Erie Canal Fishing Derby, July 6-17, The Erie Canal is spotlighted for this family-oriented fishing competition that awards more than $8,000 in prizes. Fifty miles of water are eligible - from the Niagara River to the Main Street Bridge in Albion (Route 98). For more information visit http://www.eriecanalderby.com/ or call (716) 772-7972.
- Reeling for Relief, organized bu the Sullivan Trail Chapter of the American Red Cross, July 9-10. This Finger Lakes-area tournament covers the following lakes: Cayuga, Keuka, Seneca, Waneta and Lamoka, and runs from midnight on Friday until 3 p.m. on Sunday. The top prize is $1000. For more information call (866) 946-3386.
- 8th Annual Lake Ontario Trout and Salmon Association King Salmon Tournament, July 16. This event , to be held in Olcott from 6 a.m. to noon. offers $100 in cash pay back. All participants must be LOTSA members. Deadline to register is July 13 at 6 p.m. For more information visit http://www.lotsa.org/.
- Wayne County Pro-Am Team Tournament, July 16-17. The Lake Ontario Pro-Am Salmon and Trout Team Tournament , which takes place across Niagara, Orleans, Oswego and Wayne Counties, is the most prestigious fishing event along the southern shores of Lake Ontario. With two days of competition and a special "Big Fish Friday," Pro-Am events bring out an average of 75 boats, with each team composed of four anglers. The Series final ends in Wayne County on July 15-17. To view past tournament actions, go to the official Pro-Am web page at http://www.lakeontarioproam.net/.
- NY Bass Federation July 17. Call (856) 697-4999 or visit http://www.njbassfederation.com/ for details.
- Mike's Little Salmon River Challenge, July 23 in Mexico, NY. Call (315) 963-3119 for more information and rules.
- Children's Fishing Derby, July 27 in Phoenix, NY. For more information call (315) 695-1308 or visit http://www.bridgehousebrats.us/.
- The Sandy Creek Trout/Salmon Derby, August. 6 in Sandy Creek. For more information visit http://www.sandypondsportsmans.com/.
- Capital District Bass Masters Tournament, Northern Lake George, August 7, For more information visit www.ticonderogany.com/fishing.html.
- The Lake Ontario Counties Fall Trout and Salmon Derby, August 18 - September 5 on Lake Ontario. The Lake Ontario counties annually host a series of the world's best freshwater tournaments know as the LOC Derby. Thousands of anglers hit the lake each year in pursuit of thousands of dollars in cash prizes for salmon, lake trout, brown trout and rainbow/steelhead trout. Registration sites and weigh stations are located along the entire southern Lake Ontario shoreline. Call (888) 733-5246 or (585) 545-4247 or visit http://www.loc.org/.
- Finger Lakes Carp Derby, Oak Island, Waterloo, August 20, This annual fishing event centers around Oak Island in Waterloo, but participants are allowed to fish the lakes and the canal. Cash prizes are awarded among fun carp-related events for all ages. For details see http://www.fingerlakescarpderby.com/.
- Avon Anglers Open Bass Tournament, Cayuga Lake, August 20. See http://www.avonanglers.com/ for further information.
- KTBA Bass Club Open Bass Tournament, Cayuga Lake, August 27. Visit http://www.ktbabassclub.com/ to learn more.
- USO Open Bass Tournament, Northern Lake George, September 8. For more information call (917) 217-9350 or visit www.ticonderogany.com/fishing.html.
- 35th Annual Greater Niagara "Fall Classic" Derby2011: A Fish Odyssey, tentatively scheduled for September 17-25.The journey continues with another great event set for 2011. Last year, over $10,000 in cash and prizes were handed out to winning anglers at the New York Power Authority's Wildlife Festival. Species categories included salmon, rainbow/brown trout, lake trout, smallmouth bass, carp and walleye. All have a chance to win the Grand Prize. For more information, call (877) FALLS US or visit http://www.fishodyssey.net/ or http://www.outdoorsniagara.com/.
- Montauk Surf Fishing Classic, Montauk Point State Park, September. 23-25. Visit www.nysparks.com/parks/61/details.aspx or call (631) 669-1000 for more information.
About New York State New York State features 11 beautiful vacation regions. New York's attractions span from landmarks such as Niagara Falls, to the wine trails of Hudson Valley and treasures like the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. Whether it's wide-ranging outdoor activities for the whole family like fishing, hiking and boating, culinary wonders and farm-to-table fresh foods, or the rich history and culture of one of the 13 original colonies, New York State offers diverse activities for all travelers. For more information visit http://www.iloveny.com/. Media can find press releases and more at http://www.thebeat.iloveny.com/. Documents and/or Photos available for this release: Hanna Hawkins holds a carp she caught during the St. Lawrence International Junior Carp Tournament, the nation's largest junior carp fishing contest, which takes place on the St. Lawrence River from Massena west to Ogdensburg. For a perfect getaway, experience charter boat fishing on Long Island.