1. The National Comedy Center Needs You to Vote Every Day Now Through Feb. 17, 2020
The National Comedy Center has been nominated for USA Today’s 10Best Readers’ Choice Award for “Best New Museum” by a panel of nationally recognized travel experts for the 10Best Award series, which celebrates outstanding destinations, attractions, and experiences.
They need visitors, fans, and supporters to cast their vote for the museum as part of the public voting process to select a winner. Everyone is invited to vote daily, now through Monday, February 17, 2020, at noon ET. The winner will be announced on Friday, February 28, 2020
2. President’s Day Weekend: Mayville Festival, Fire & Ice, Decadent Pairings Weekend, NYS Free Fishing Days
President’s Day Weekend, which coincides with Valentine’s Day this year, is a great time to visit the Chautauqua-Lake Erie Region. There are three festivals to look forward to on February 13-16, 2020. The Presidents' Day Weekend Winter Festival at Mayville Lakeside Park is a legacy winter celebration along Chautauqua Lake. Each year features ice and snow-themed activities, including an Ice Castle and snow sculptures when the weather allows. Fireworks light up the sky on Saturday night. *Admission is FREE
The Fire & Ice Celebration returns to the Chautauqua Harbor Hotel on Feb. 13-15. 20,000 pounds of ice are meticulously carved into breathtaking sculptures, martini luges, and bars. Step inside the ballroom for a glorious spread of hors d’oeuvres, chili, and chowder, plus FREE samples from wineries, breweries, and distilleries – all included with your ticket, which are on sale now. Booking early is strongly recommended for those planning to overnight at the Chautauqua Harbor Hotel.
Lake Erie Wine County will host Decadent Pairings, Feb.14-16; it’s a sweet and savory experience with Niagara Chocolates. Half of the participating wineries will serve a decadent chocolate dish with a premium house wine, while the other half will serve a savory small bite and wine pairing – something for everyone! Tickets are required – get them before they are gone!
NYS Free Fishing Weekend is a time when non-license holding NYS and non-NYS residents are permitted to fish New York State’s freshwaters. It's a great time to try fishing, become an ambassador for the sport by bringing a friend fishing for the first time, or make it a family outing with your spouse and/or children/grandchildren. Standard fishing regulations remain in effect. For more information, please check the DEC website.
3. Registration is Now Open for Hope on the Slopes event at Peek’n Peak Benefiting the American Cancer Society
This event brings the community together to remember loved ones lost, honor survivors of all cancers, have fun on the mountain & raise money to help the American Cancer Society make a global impact on cancer.
Hope on the Slopes at Peek’n Peak Resort takes place on Saturday, March 7, 2020, and features a vertical ski/snowboard challenge for teams or individuals using their own devices and the free Sportler Ski Tracker app, a speed challenge for skiers, and a top fundraising challenge where the winners are recognized and rewarded with a lift or adventure course pass to Peek’n Peak Resort!
4. Winter Fun at Northwest Arena
If winter fun that doesn’t require snow pants or special equipment is more your style, be sure to check out Northwest Arena in Jamestown. Public Skates, DJ Skates, Drop-In Hockey, and Ice Bumper Car sessions are offered on a regular basis. Of course, the Jamestown Rebels NAHL hockey team is not to be missed and pre-sale tickets to the very popular Grapes and Hops Festival (Mar. 21, 2020) are on sale now!
February Jamestown Rebels Home Games:
- Jamestown Rebels vs Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights - Feb 7 @ 7:05 PM
- Jamestown Rebels vs Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights - Feb 8 @ 7:05 PM
- Jamestown Rebels vs New Jersey Titans - Feb 21 @ 7:05 PM
- Jamestown Rebels vs New Jersey Titans - Feb 22 @ 7:05 PM
5. Welcome to Chautauqua County, Jamestown Tarp Skunks Baseball
There’s a new baseball team in town, the Jamestown Tarp Skunks, part of the Perfect Game Collegiate Baseball League. The team begins play on May 29, 2020, at Diethrick Park, the home of the former Jamestown Jammers.
Jamestown Tarp Skunks ownership and management honor Chautauqua County baseball heritage by selecting ‘Tarp Skunks’ as the team name:
- ‘Tarp’ representing Mr. Howard Ehmke, former Chautauqua County resident, MLB Pitcher, 1929 Philadelphia A’s World Series Champion, 1983 Chautauqua Sports Hall of Fame Inductee, and the founder of the Ehmke Manufacturing Company – who produced the original infield tarp. He is proudly our “Father of the Infield Tarp.”
- ‘Skunks’ to represent a very common creature at Diethrick Park, a creature which has made a habit of pestering and wreaking havoc on baseball team employees for decades at Diethrick Park; specifically living inside the infield tarp and under the visiting bullpen’s bench. Skunks are also seen wandering the concourse in the evenings.
Merchandise and season tickets can be purchased at tarpskunks.com – with select items at the Team Jock Shop location at 10 Harrison Street in Jamestown NY. Team Jock Shop houses the official team store!
Megan L. Arnone, Marketing & Communications Coordinator
Chautauqua County Visitors Bureau