Mumford, N.Y. – Genesee Country Village & Museum is continuing to enhance its online spaces for viewers to connect, learn, explore, and even take a piece of the Museum home with them. Through video lessons and peeks into their collections, the Museum is allowing for an up-close look at various historical objects, topics, and even their grounds via a virtual tour. The online store is also offering touch-free shopping for Museum-made items, plus a special take-home brunch for Mother’s Day.
On Saturday, May 9, GCV&M is offering a brunch that can be picked up and brought home to create a special day for mom. The brunch serves 4-5 people and includes cheddar and egg bread strata (plain or sausage), grilled asparagus with lemon and feta, roasted red potatoes, and fresh fruit salad. Make it extra festive by adding a mimosa growler for a toast to mom, and treats from the D.B. Munger Confectionery including freshly-baked cookies, Chelsea buns, gingerbread cakes, and the Museum’s famous hand pies. You can even add in a handcrafted piece of Museum-made pottery mom will love, along with several other goods available online.
Orders will be taken through Wednesday, May 6 only, at gcv.org. Brunch will be kept cold with reheating instructions included. Quantities are limited, so early ordering is suggested. There is a 10% discount available for GCV&M members, who can contact the Museum for discount code information. All proceeds from online sales are going directly to supporting the staff and programs of GCV&M.
GCV&M has several online spaces for learning and exploring topics that range from history to science and cooking. On the Family Fun & Learning web page as well as social media channels, GCV&M is sharing read-aloud story times, coloring pages, and blog posts from their experts. On Facebook, teachers, students, and families can join dedicated groups to share ideas and even share their own creations in the Teaching & Learning with GCV&M and Family Fun & Learning with GCV&M companion groups. The Museum can be found online at gcv.org and on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube at @gcvmuseum. Current online highlights include:
- Sunday: Stretch your brain cells with the weekly #museumgames crossword!
- Monday: Relax and Just Take a Moment to breathe and re-focus with a calming moment of mindfulness.
- Tuesday: It's Story Time! Join GCV&M at 3:30 pm for a read-aloud adventure. And don't miss the new fashions on display in the latest coloring pages, drawn from photos of Museum interpreters!
- Wednesday: The Nature Center goes virtual for Wildlife Wednesday, and you're invited!
- Thursday: Thursdays are for trivia! See if you can guess the right answer to the question of the week. Look for a “sweet” subject coming up in May!
- Friday: Check out the latest blog post! Then enjoy a peek into the Historic Village on Facebook and Instagram.
- Saturday: It's a stylish Saturday as GCV&M’s John L. Wehle Gallery Curator brings the Susan Greene Costume Collection into focus, then download the latest coloring pages featuring GCV&M’s historic buildings.
- On the blog: Historically, cooks often had to make do with what they had on hand. No yeast? No problem!
- On the Family Fun & Learning web pages: New coloring pages featuring costumes and buildings of the 19th century, and a new Focused Field Study lesson lets you become a history detective with a close look at historical objects.
GCV&M is the largest living history museum in New York State with the largest collection of historic buildings in the Northeast. The Museum, with its John L. Wehle Gallery, working brewery, vintage baseball park, and Nature Center, is located in Mumford, NY, 20 miles southwest of Rochester and 45 miles east of Buffalo. Visit www.gcv.org for more information.
Contact: Jen VanRy
Day of Event Contact: Becky Wehle