Howes Cave, N.Y. - You're invited to a grand celebration for a great cave as Howe Caverns hosts a community celebration for its 80th anniversary Aug. 1. "We're looking forward to welcoming friends from far and near as we celebrate the 80th anniversary of Howe Caverns re-opening to the public in 1929," said General Manager Robert Holt. Throughout the day, the cave will be open for tours. "For our Schoharie County neighbors, we're offering special, reduced admissions," Mr. Holt said. With proof of residency, the tours will be $10 for adults (those ages 16 or older). Children ages 15 and younger will be admitted free with identification. The first 30 groups to purchase tickets will receive a pound of Special Reserve New York State cave-aged cheese, courtesy of Fly Creek Cider Mill & Orchard in Fly Creek (outside of Cooperstown). Fly Creek has partnered with Howe Caverns for several years to age their cheddar cheese 156-feet below the earth's surface. In addition to the opportunity to Go Underground, the day features great music and a number of activities:
- At 2:30 p.m., Howe Caverns second cave-themed motorcycle will be unveiled. Created by Orange County Choppers, and featured on the television program, American Choppers, the bike's details include elements that look like flowstone. The design includes images of the cave's discoverer Lester Howe and his cow, Millicent, whom Howe said discovered the great wonder down under.
- At 5 p.m., the band Flame will perform. Flame is a rock-cover band that began at the Lexington Center in Fort Plain, an agency that serves people with developmental disabilities. The band is made up of people who have disabilities including autism, Down's syndrome and blindness.
- Starting at 7:30 p.m., the Back 40 band will perform. Back 40 has been named Entertainers of the Year twice by the Northeast Country Music Association.
- The Cave House Museum of Mining & Geology will be open for tours from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Refreshments will be available throughout the event.
- The new, 80-page book that shares little-known stories about Howe Caverns entitled, Lester Howe & Howe Caverns -- "The Hole Story," will be on sale in the Gift Shop. The book was compiled by Mr. Holt as a tribute to the Caverns' 80th anniversary and Lester Howe's 200th birthday in 2010.
###MEDIA CONTACT: Kathy Condon * Condon Communications PHONE: 518-436-1103 * FAX: 518-436-7346 * E-MAIL: email@example.com