Ride the Historic Tugboat Pegasus, Meet Captain Pamela Hepburn, and Enjoy Tugboat Films for the Whole Family Yonkers, N.Y. - Celebrate the hardest working boats on the waterways at Hudson River Tugboat Day on June 23 at Beczak Environmental Education Center. Free activities 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM include dockside tours of the 1907 tugboat Pegasus, a 1-hour excursion on the Hudson (advance registration only at beczak.org), making tugboats out of recycled materials, and viewing the classic Disney cartoon Little Toot. The 7:00 PM RiverTalks presentation "Hudson River Tugboats," with the Pegasus' Captain Pamela Hepburn, features the award-winning documentary short Tugs and is $10 / $5 for students, teachers, and seniors. Saturday, June 23, 2012, at Beczak Environmental Education Center, 35 Alexander Street, Yonkers, NY, 10701. More information at beczak.org, or contact email@example.com / (914) 377-1900, ext. 13. Hudson River Tugboat Day, on June 23, offers the public a chance to get up close to the historic, bright red, 1907 tugboat Pegasus-stand on her deck and climb up to her bridge; tour the Yonkers waterfront, and meet the downtown mom / tugboat captain who saved this maritime icon from the scrapheap and founded the Tugboat Pegasus Preservation Project. Hudson River Tugboat Day
- Activities are all free but for the evening RiverTalks
- All take place at Beczak Environmental Education Center, and the Yonkers Pier, just two blocks away. Free and secure parking at Beczak.
- Enjoy the Disney classic Little Toot about "the little tug that could"
- Explore how tugboats work and make your own out of recycled materials
- Take a dockside tour of the Pegasus at the Yonkers Pier
- 1-hour ride on the Pegasus departing the Yonkers Pier. Advance registration only at beczak.org,
- "Hudson River Tugboats" a RiverTalks presentation by Pamela Hepburn, Captain of the Pegasus. Hepburn gives a brief history of tugboats in the New York Harbor and their continuing importance today as well as tells her own story of working her way from tugboat cook and deckhand to captain, then purchasing the hundred year old Pegasus where she lived for several years with her family. Plus Tugs, a documentary short by Jessica Edwards, which includes scenes of the everyday work life on tugs and ends with dramatic images from the 18th annual Great North River Tugboat Race. $10 / $5 for students, teachers, and seniors, includes refreshments.
###CONTACT Lenore Person, Director of Development Cell (914) 420-6864 LPerson@beczak.org