ALBANY, N.Y. - New York State is pleased to announce the launch of an exciting collaboration between National Geographic Maps and the Lakes to Locks Passage to highlight the world-class historic, natural, cultural, and recreational attractions along New York's only All-American Road in the collection of America's Byways. This project will create a co-branded website to promote Geotourism: tourism that contributes to the economic health of communities by enhancing the geographical character of a place - its environment, culture, aesthetics, heritage and the well-being of its residents. On the Lakes to Locks Passage Geotourism website, viewers can pinpoint destinations and learn about the region's history, unique points of interest, ongoing events, and outdoor routes and trails. The website encourages national and international travelers to choose sustainable tourism experiences that are distinctive to the region. The National Geographic brand will attract visitors seeking the authenticity of people and places - visiting a number of attractions throughout a vacation to truly experience a destination. Through this collaboration, Lakes to Locks Passage will link established attractions to the special places hidden away in small communities. Local residents and visitors are invited to nominate the landmarks, attractions, activities, events and local foods that define the region's character and distinct appeal. Online nominations to the interactive MapGuide website are now available at www.lakestolocks.org. Initial training sessions have been scheduled for participants to learn how to make free on-line nominations to the website and discuss how this website will attract national and international visitors to the region:
- March 16, 2011 9:30-11:30 AM at the Crown Point Telephone Corporation, Crown Point, NY (limited space. Contact Suzanne Maye prior to 3/14 to RSVP at Suzanne@lakechaplainregion.com)
- March 24, 2011 1:00 - 4:00 PM at the Saratoga Town Hall, 12 Spring Street, Schuylerville, NY.
- March 29, 2011 3:00 - 5:00 PM at the Warren County Municipal Center, Room 6-103, 1340 State Route 9, Queensbury, NY
- March 30, 2011 10:00 - 12:00 Noon at the Plattsburgh-North County Chamber of Commerce, 7061 State Route 9, Plattsburgh, NY
- March 31, 2011 3:00 - 5:00 PM at the Historic Salem Courthouse, 58 East Broadway, Salem, NY
###For more information on the trainings and this project contact: Drew Alberti Program Manager Lakes to Locks Passage, Inc. (518) 637-4690 firstname.lastname@example.org