history-beneath-the-walls.jpgTiconderoga, N.Y. - Have you ever wondered what lies beneath Fort Ticonderoga's stone walls?  Join Fort Ticonderoga's curator, Christopher Fox, for "History Beneath the Walls," a new in-depth exploration of Fort Ticonderoga's hidden past to see remarkably preserved evidence of the Fort's original structures and catch a glimpse at some of the systems that keeps the Fort running today.  This special behind-the-scenes tour will take visitors into five areas of the Fort not accessible to the general public.  In these areas visitors will see original French stone foundations of barracks buildings and cavernous spaces beneath the parapet walls preserving clues to how the Fort was built over 250 years ago and then preserved over the last century. This hour and a half tour is scheduled at 1:00 pm each Thursday in July and August.  Space is limited, advanced reservations are recommended or tickets, as available, can be purchased on the day of the tour at the Guest Services Desk in the Log House Welcome Center.  Price is $35 per person with regular general admission. The tour will begin at the Guest Services Desk located in the Log House Welcome Center.  Climbing stairs and passing through narrow spaces is required on this tour and it is not handicap accessible or appropriate for those who have difficulty walking.  All sales are final, no exchanges or refunds.  Tour will proceed rain or shine. Fort Ticonderoga was constructed beginning in the fall of 1755 by the French to protect the outlet of the La Chute River and the short overland portage between Lake Champlain and Lake George.  It was captured by the British in July 1759 who held it until its capture by Ethan Allen, Benedict Arnold and the Green Mountain Boys in 1775.  The British recaptured the Fort in July 1777 and then abandoned it later that fall.  After suffering the ravages of time and the elements, the Fort was restored by the Pell family beginning in the spring of 1909.  Today Fort Ticonderoga is a private, not-for-profit educational institution and a remarkable triumph of early 20th-century historic preservation. FORT TICONDEROGA America's Fort Located on Lake Champlain in the beautiful 6 million acre Adirondack Park, Fort Ticonderoga is a private not-for-profit historic site and museum that ensures that present and future generations learn from the struggles, sacrifices, and victories that shaped the nations of North America and changed world history. Serving the public since 1909, Fort Ticonderoga engages more than 70,000 visitors annually and is dedicated to the preservation and interpretation of Fort Ticonderoga's history.  Accredited by the American Association of Museums, Fort Ticonderoga offers programs, historic interpretation, tours, demonstrations, and exhibits throughout the year and is open for daily visitation May 18 through October 18. The 2012 season features the Fort's newest exhibit Bullets & Blades: The Weapons of America's Colonial Wars and Revolution which highlights over 150 of the museum's most important weapons and is a comprehensive and expanded reinterpretation of its world renowned historic arms collection!  Visit http://www.fort-ticonderoga.org/ for a full list of ongoing programs or call 518-585-2821. Funding for the 2012 season is provided in part by Amtrak.  Visit http://www.fortticonderoga.org/visit/directions for a special 2 for 1 Amtrak offer! Fort Ticonderoga is located at 100 Fort Ti Road, Ticonderoga, New York. Photo:  "History Beneath the Walls" Tours will be presented this summer at Fort Ticonderoga.  The tour offers an in-depth exploration of the Fort's hidden past.  Tickets are now available!


Contact: Beth Hill 518-585- 2821 bhill@fort-ticonderoga.org