Presented by Saratoga Performing Arts Center and WEQX RadioSaratoga Springs, N.Y. - Nationally recognized, New York City-based alternative rock band My Pet Dragon is one of several top bands that will be performing live music for runners participating in Saratoga Performing Arts Center's "Rock & Run" 5K on Sunday, May 20 at 10:30 a.m. in the Saratoga Spa State Park. In total, the 5K will feature music by more than 10 top bands; a post-race party with entertainment and family activities follows. The run starts at SPAC at 10:30 a.m.; a one-mile Kids' Race kicks off at 10 a.m. Online registration is available at http://www.areep.com/. Proceeds from the event help underwrite SPAC's Vivienne Anderson Program, an initiative which provides underserved children with the opportunity to attend classical performances. "Our ‘Rock & Run' is the perfect, high-energy kick off to our season. The enthusiasm of local runners, families and residents from around the Capital Region has made this unique 5K and post-race party a huge success in each of the last two years. This year's tremendous lineup of bands should translate into an even bigger turnout," said Marcia J. White, SPAC's President & Executive Director. "My thanks go out to the members of SPAC's Action Council for their hard work on behalf of this terrific event, which raises much needed funds for SPAC's programming and education programs." Drawing comparisons to Arcade Fire and Coldplay, My Pet Dragon is known for its anthemic songs and powerful live shows led by singer/songwriter Todd Michaelsen and dancer/actress Reena Shah. They will be headlining the 2012 Breckenridge Beer Festival in Colorado in April. They are also a featured band on the Occupy Movement-inspired, Occupy This Album, along with Jackson Brown, Debbie Harry, Tom Morrello and other noted musicians. My Pet Dragon's newly released LP, Mountains and Cities, is currently receiving airplay on radio stations all across the United States. Other top regional bands participating for the first time in "Rock and Run" include:
- § Headband Jack - Offering a new twist on a classic sound, Headband Jack blends trademark vocal harmonies with a backbone of folk, rock and Americana. A mainstay at Putnam Den and Bailey's and a finalist in last year's "Battle of the Bands" at SPAC, the band is a Capital Region favorite.
- § Black Mountain Symphony -- Evocative of artists such as Fleetwood Mac, Guster and The Dave Matthews Band, Black Mountain Symphony is an eclectic five-piece band that combines their live sets with everything from classical music to Motown, blues and jazz.
- § Jenson Rhodes Band - A tribute band for Jenson Rhodes, considered by some to be the godfather of the alternative rock movement, this band's music is cathartic rock with a punk twist.
- § The City Never Sleeps - This Indie/Jazz Rock Band from Albany, NY was voted "Band of the Week" in June 2009 by GuerillaMagazine.com receiving praise such as, "The City Never Sleeps is a refreshingly hard to categorize rock outfit from [Albany, NY]... unsigned, relatively new on the music scene, but undeniably catchy."
- ¨ performance/moisture-wicking shirts for the first 750 pre-registered 5K runners
- ¨ tickets to SPAC's Wine & Food and Fall Ferrari Festival for the top male/female finishers
- ¨ tickets to SPAC classical performances for the top three male and female finishers in each age category
- ¨ finisher awards for all children participating in the Kids' Race
- ¨ free, post race party with live music, refreshments and children's activities
###Contact: Shane Williams-Ness, 518.584.9330 x 116 M:518.378.0295 email@example.com Lisa Hill, 518.584.9330 x 119 M:518.496.2882 firstname.lastname@example.org ; www.spac.org