Festivals and sugar shacks across the state gear up for NYS Maple Weekends in March
ADIRONDACK REGION, N.Y. Feb. 23, 2009 - Your cabin fever peaked in January – it’s February and spring is palpable in the Adirondacks. (Or maybe it’s just an early thaw). Either way, early spring means temperatures that soar above 32 degrees during the day and dip below freezing at night - which means its sugar maple tree-tapping time.Late winter to early spring marks the beginning of maple syrup season in New York – and the Adirondack region just happens to produce some of the finest, purest maple syrup in the United States. Up here, we take the sweet stuff seriously. Maple tapping is a sustainable and environmentally sound process and maple specialists make sure that the sap runs smoothly – from tree to breakfast table. To learn more about this delicious addition to your kitchen – join in the sweet fun.
WHAT TO DO AND WHERE TO STAY:
American Maple Museum 9753 State Route 812, Croghan, NY 13327
Phone (315) 346-1107. lcida.org/maplemuseum.html
Exhibits depict the history of maple syrup and sugar making techniques, ranging from those used by the Native Americans, to the plastic tubing and stainless steel evaporators used today. Audio tapes explain many of the exhibits. The museum will be open 3/28 and 3/29 from 7 am to 4 pm. Pancake Breakfast will be served from 7 am to 12 pm. Breakfast $7 adult, $4 child, under 5 free. Tour the museum for only $4.
Visit these Sugar Shacks for more Maple fun:
• Lloyd Zehr & Family's Maple Shanty, 1157 Rte 812, Croghan, NY 13327 http://www.lcida.org/lzmaple.html
• Golden Maple Shanty 4836 Sharp Rd, Lowville, NY 13367 http://shop.mapleshanty.com/
• Swiss'er Sweet Maple 6242 Swiss Rd, Castorland, NY 13620 http://www.swissersweetmaple.com/
• Pierce's Sugar Spigot 11603 State Rte 812, Croghan, NY 13327 http://www.lcida.org/sspigot.html
• Yancey's Long Pond Rd & Fish Creek Rd, Croghan, NY 13327 http://www.lcida.org/hyancey.html
• Thompson's Tree Farm, 2071 County Route 11, Gouverneur, NY 13642
• Rutley Maple Farms, 8765 Route 11, Potsdam, NY 13676
• Fine-n-Dandy, 2620 County Route 35, Norwood, NY 13668
• The Orebed Sugar Shack, 503 Orebed Road, De Kalb Junction, NY 13630
• Woody's Maple, 418 Underwood Rd, Hermon, NY 13652
• Hugh's Sugar Shack, 5373 State Highway 56, Potsdam, NY 13676
To map your trip, calculate mileage and see what else is going on, log onto VisitAdirondacks.com and begin planning your sweet fun.
Maple Package offered in St. Lawrence County
Maple Package includes a two-night stay March 28-29 at either the Comfort Suites or Best Western in Canton, two breakfasts, a boxed lunch from Partridge Den, a bus tour of three sugar bushes, including: Woody's, Thompson's Tree Farm and The Orebed Sugar Shack. A five-course gourmet maple-themed dinner at the Windfall Bar and Grill in Cranberry Lake is included. The package costs $275 per person, based on double hotel occupancy and each guest will receive a gift bag full of maple goodies.
For more information, contact: the St. Lawrence County Chamber of Commerce at (877) 228-7810.
The Adirondack Park, named for the Adirondack Mountains that lie within its boundaries, offers some of the best opportunities in the United States for outdoor recreation in a superb natural setting. The wilderness lands of the Adirondack Park are an outdoor-lover’s paradise and vacation packages offer a wonderful opportunity for visitors to sample all that there is to see and do in the region. The Adirondack Regional Tourism Council can provide information about planning a vacation in the Adirondack region. Call 800-487-6867 or log onto VisitAdirondacks.com for package listings, events, activities, restaurants, lodging and maps.