Newburgh, N.Y. - A newly acquired painting by Clarence K. Chatterton (1888-1973) will be unveiled at Washington's Headquarters State Historic Site on Friday, February 10th at 3:00 PM. Newburgh Historian, Mary McTamaney, will share some remarks about the artist.
C. K. Chatterton, a native of Newburgh, briefly studied at the New York School of Art, only to return to the Hudson Valley. He taught art locally, and was briefly the Superintendent of Art Education in the Newburgh public schools. In 1915, he began what would turn out to be 33 years teaching art at Vassar College, retiring as a full professor. Painting oils and gouaches, his early subject matter consisted of Newburgh streets, rooftops, docks and the Hudson River. This 1909 gouache painting, donated by his granddaughters, shows the Hasbrouck House (a.k.a. Washington's Headquarters) in true Chatterton style.
This event is free to the public. For further details or directions please call the site at 845-562-1195.
Washington's Headquarters State Historic Site is a registered national historic landmark. It is located at the corner of Liberty and Washington Streets within the city of Newburgh's East End Historic District. The site is one of 35 historic sites within the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation and is one of 28 facilities administered by the Palisades Interstate Park Commission in New York and New Jersey. For further information contact: (845) 562-1195. For more information about New York State Parks, please visit our website at www.nysparks. com. For more information call 845-562-1195 or visit us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/washingtonsheadquarters.