2011 Contest Honoring Sustainable Living Announced Albany, N.Y. - I LOVE NEW YORK (http://www.iloveny.com/), New York State's tourism promotion agency, and EscapeMaker.com are seeking to celebrate those individuals who are doing their part to keep the Empire State green with the second annual contest to find the "Greenest NYer" of 2011. "New York is full of natural wonders and attractions, many of which have made changes to become more environmentally friendly. Examples of this can be seen with the Niagara Falls State Park, the Empire State Building and Fire Island National Seashore," said Peter Davidson, Executive Director of Empire State Development, which administers the I LOVE NEW YORK campaign. "Our Greenest NYer is an example of what each of us can do, as residents or as visitors, to preserve and improve the incredible natural heritage and beauty of our State. We are seeking an Ambassador for the State who will not only spread the green travel word, but who will also inspire awareness and appreciation of the environment." Entries for the Greenest NYer contest must be received by midnight on April 5, 2011. Public voting will begin April 7 online and the top three candidates will be named finalists, to be judged by a panel of expert judges. The panel will include:
- Matt Weingarten, Executive Chef, Inside Park at St. Bart's
- Peter Lindabury, LEED AP Consultant for the Conference Center at Lake Placid
- Kate Sinding, senior attorney and Deputy Director of the New York urban program at the National Resource Defense Council
- Valarie D'Elia, travel correspondent for NY1 News
- Kaity Tsui, Greenest NYer 2010
- Be a striving ‘eco-extraordinaire' and demonstrate a clear passion for spreading the "green word."
- Illustrate a commitment to and leadership in protecting the environment.
- Describe how they've contributed to sustainable eco-practices and what they do regularly to maintain a "green spirit."