Howes Cave, NY -- It'll be a grand celebration when Howe Caverns hosts a community party for its 80th anniversary on Aug. 1. WHAT: Howe Caverns Celebrates Its 80th Anniversary of Re-opening to the Public in 1929 WHEN: Saturday, Aug. 1, 2009 -- 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. WHERE: Howe Caverns Estate, 255 Discovery Drive, Howes Cave The celebration includes:
- The cave will be open for tours from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. with special discounts for residents of Schoharie County with proof of residence. ($10 for adults -- ages 16 and over; Children ages 15 and under, free.)
- The first 30 groups to purchase tickets will receive a pound of Special Reserve New York State cave-aged cheese, courtesy of Fly Creek Cider Mill & Orchard in Fly Creek (outside of Cooperstown). The cheese has aged for several years in Howe Caverns.
- The Cave House Museum of Mining & Geology will be open for tours from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- The new Schoharie County Welcome Center, located in the red house on the Howe Caverns Estate, will celebrate its first full day of operation. Everyone is invited to stop by from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- At 2:30 p.m., Howe Caverns second cave-themed motorcycle will be unveiled. The bike was created by Orange County Choppers, and featured on the television program, American Choppers,
- At 5 p.m., the band Flame will perform.
- At 7:30 p.m., the Back 40 band will perform.
- Refreshments will be available throughout the event.
- Special commemorative 80th Anniversary items are available in the Gift Shop, including the new, 80-page book that shares little-known stories about Howe Caverns entitled, Lester Howe & Howe Caverns -- "The Hole Story," compiled by General Manager Robert Holt.
###MEDIA CONTACT: Kathy Condon * Condon Communications PHONE: 518-436-1103 * FAX: 518-436-7346 * E-MAIL: email@example.com