Celebrate U-pick apple season in Orange County, N.Y.
Orange County, N.Y. – Autumn is the perfect time to take advantage of the colorful landscape and outdoor activities in Orange County, home to some of the best apples in New York State. The orchards offer a wide variety of weekend activities perfect for family outings. Pumpkin patches, tractor and pony rides, corn and hay mazes, and even a little hard cider tasting, round out days of fun in the crisp Hudson Valley air. Sample more than 50 varieties of apples ripening on the trees from late August through October.
Orange County Tourism Director Amanda Dana suggests, “You can take a bite out of the ‘Big Apple,’ but you can PICK your apples here! Add a fun country getaway to your itinerary; our orchards are just an hour north of New York City.”
Choose from great 10 “U-pick” apple orchards in Orange County, N.Y., including:
- Penning’s Orchard and Farm Market, 169 Route 94, Warwick: Apple picking opens on Saturday, August 25, 2018 and will remain open from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. daily through October. In addition to seasonal apple and peach picking, Penning’s offers a year-round market with fresh local produce and a full-service bar and grill. Relax in the Beer Garden while the kids enjoy the play area. Tastings at the on the on-site Pennings Farm Cidery are available for those aged 21 and older. www.penningsfarmmarket.com
- Soons Orchard, 23 Soons Circle, New Hampton: Here the U-pick 2018 season begins Labor Day weekend. Enjoy special fall activities and shopping in the farm store. Take home some freshly baked apple pie or cider doughnuts from Scotty’s Country Kitchen. Don’t forget the cold fresh-pressed apple cider! Adults can taste hand-crafted hard ciders at the new Orchard Hill Cidery tasting room right next door. Come back for a Speakeasy event or make a reservation for one of their popular farm cooking and dining demonstrations. www.soonsorchards.com
- Apple Dave’s Orchard, 82 Four Corners Road, Warwick: In addition to 11 varieties of the freshest, juiciest fruit, Apple Dave’s Orchard offers activities the whole family can enjoy. Sample the latest creations from the new distillery, enjoy apple and pumpkin picking, take a wagon ride, visit the farm store, or simply relax by the orchard’s pond or rose garden. They’ll be open daily from Labor Day weekend until late October. www.appledavesorchards.com
- Lawrence Farms Orchards, 306 Frozen Ridge Road, Newburgh: At Lawrence Farms, pick a variety of produce daily from June through October. According to their online crop schedule, September is apple picking time! Paid admission includes access to the miniature New England-style village with farm yard animals, and Apple Train rides during the fall harvest season. Take in the spectacular views as you relax at one of the picnic tables and savor fresh apple cider donuts, roasted nuts, paninis, and more, from the farm’s concession stand. lawrencefarmsorchards.org
- Masker Orchard: 45 Ball Road, Warwick: Masker puts a unique spin on the traditional apple picking experience by letting its visitors drive through the orchard and right up to the trees. Bring your picnic gear since you’ll want to spend the whole day relaxing in this expansive 200-acre orchard. The Country Store and orchard are open daily from September 1 through November. Weekend visits include special kid-friendly activities like baby animals, pony rides and wagon rides. www.maskers.com
Find more orchards and fall farm fun on the Orange County Tourism website Agritourism pages and online calendar of events. Groups should call ahead to make special arrangements for their apple picking outings.
A trip to Orange County, N.Y. isn’t complete without an overnight stay at a cozy B&B or select hotel. Visit www.OrangeTourism.org for a full list of lodging, activities, and attractions.
Orange County Tourism’s Facebook page: Orange County Tourism NY is a fabulous guide to up-to-the-minute postings of area events and activities, great times, and memorable experiences available to visitors.
About Orange County Tourism
Orange County Tourism, based in Goshen, N.Y., is the county’s tourism headquarters and a participant in the I LOVE NY program. A comprehensive listing of area attractions, lodging, and events can be found at www.OrangeTourism.org. For a free copy of the Orange County Travel Guide, e-mail email@example.com or call 845-615-3860.
Photo features: Apple Dave’s Orchard, Warwick, N.Y.
For more information, contact:
Focus Media, Inc.