Auburn, NY (Jan. 16, 2020) – The Schweinfurth Art Center and Auburn Public Theater are hosting a nine-week art film series that will be shown at 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays beginning Feb. 4, 2020. The films cover music, painting, animation, and photography, as well as art collecting.
"We are very excited to bring back our winter film series," said Schweinfurth Program Director Davana Robedee. "Whether you are interested in high quality animation, the lives of famous art collectors, or you want to 'go on tour' with Bob Dylan, there's a film for you in this series."
"Collaboration is our favorite sport at Auburn Public Theater, and collaborating with all of our friends at the Schweinfurth is always a very special treat for all of us at APT," said Angela Daddabbo, APT's artistic director. "We look forward to another exciting, interesting, and thought-provoking film series with them every Tuesday in February and March."
Each film will include a brief introduction and a question-and-answer afterward with a Schweinfurth staff member and a guest host. All films start at 7:30 p.m. and admission is $10.
Here are the films in the series:
- Feb. 4, 2020 - "Don't Look Back," a 1968 documentary that captures Bob Dylan's career change from The Conscience of Folk Music to rock and roll musician. Guest host: TBA
- Feb. 11, 2020 - "At Eternity's Gate," a 2018 drama that journeys inside the world and mind of Vincent van Gogh, who despite illness created stunning works of art. Guest host: Davana Robedee
- Feb. 18, 2020 - "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse," a 2018 animated film that envisions a multi-universe where there can be many Spider-men, Spider-women, and Spider-animals. Guest host: TBA
- Feb. 25, 2020 - "Finding Vivian Maier," a 2014 documentary that examines the life of Vivian Maier, a nanny considered one of the 20th Century's greatest street photographers. Guest host: Chris Molloy
- March 3, 2020 - "The Price of Everything," a 2018 documentary that dives deep into the contemporary art world, where everything can be bought and sold. Guest host: TBA
- March 10, 2020 - "Boom for Real," A 2018 documentary about the early life of graffiti artist Jean-Michel Basquiat and how his work transformed New York City and the art world. Guest host: Gwen Webber-McLeod
- March 17, 2020 - "Peggy Guggenheim: Art Addict," a 2015 documentary that discusses Guggenheim, an heiress who collected art as well as artists, including Jackson Pollock. Guest host: Sharon Dec
- March 24, 2020 - "Kusama Infinity," a 2018 documentary that film traces the life and art of Japanese painter, sculptor, installation artist, and performance artist Yayoi Kusama. Guest host: Blake Chamberlain
- March 31, 2020 - "Monterey Pop," a 1968 documentary on the first Monterey International Pop Festival in 1967, which made the careers of Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and Otis Redding. Guest host: TBA
Tickets for the films are available now on the Auburn Public Theater website at http://auburnpublictheater.org/events/cinema/. For more information, contact the Schweinfurth Art Center at 315-255-1553.
About the Schweinfurth
The Schweinfurth Memorial Art Center is a multi-arts center that opened in 1981 thanks to a bequest from Auburn-born architect Julius Schweinfurth. The Art Center's programs include five exhibitions each year and educational programs for children and adults, which feature local, national, and international artists.
The art center is open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays and 1 to 5 p.m. Sundays. Admission differs based on the exhibit. For more information, link to www.schweinfurthartcenter.org.
For more information, contact:
Maria Welych, Marketing Director
315.370.9611 w | 315.380.6472 m