THE “I LOVE NEW YORK” SHORT FILM CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES
1. HOW IT WORKS: The I Love New York @ Tribeca Student Film Competition (the "Contest") is a competition sponsored by Empire State Development ("Sponsor") that is inviting film students ("Entrants") from New York State schools to use their unique perspective to bring a New York State vacation region to life in film. No purchase is necessary to enter the Contest. Entrants are given the opportunity to submit a one-page creative treatment describing their vision for a 1 - 3 minute film about one of 11 New York State vacation regions (individually a "Region"). Treatment submissions must be received by 11:59:59 p.m. ET on February 6, 2017.Treatments will be judged by film and creative professionals to determine up to 11 Finalists (1 per Region) to each receive a $5,000 stipend towards production costs and travel to make a film on the attractions relating to nature, arts, culture, history, etc. in their assigned Region (defined as a "Submission"). Film Submissions will be judged by a panel of celebrity judges to determine 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners to receive scholarships, DSLR cameras, film editing equipment and 2 winners to receive weekend getaways as outlined in Rule #5.
2. ELIGIBILITY: The Contest is open only to students 18 years of age or older who are enrolled at the time of entry in the film program offered at a school that has received an Official Contest Invitation from the Sponsor. Employees of Sponsor, its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising, promotion and internet agencies (collectively "Released Parties") their immediate family members (spouse and children) and/or those living in the same household of each are not eligible to participate in the Contest. Entrants must not be a member of any guild or union that would govern Entrant's writer or director services (such as WGA, DGA, etc.).
• Running time (inclusive of credits): 1 - 3 minutes. If a submission exceeds 3 minutes, only the first 3 minutes will be judged.
• Submission must have been directed by the Finalist only.
• Submission must be in the English language; common foreign words/phrases are acceptable.
• Submission must not have had any previous screenings under its current or any former title.
• Submission must not have had any previous exhibition on broadcast or cable (by means of any method or medium) or online (personal, non-commercial websites may be excluded, at Sponsor's sole discretion).
• Entrant must have permission to use any creative element(s), e.g., music, lyrics, sounds, props, contained in his/her video if such element(s) are not Entrant's own original creative work and must provide written permission to Sponsor upon request.
• Submission must be your original work that has not been previously published (including, but not limited to, having been posted on any social media platform, blog or other website or having appeared in any other media) nor won a previous prize or award. Modifying, enhancing or altering a third party's preexisting work does not qualify as Entrant's original creation and, therefore, may be disqualified at Sponsor's sole discretion.
• Submission may not contain/display any unacceptable clothing or adornments, or identifiable commercial/corporate advertising other than Sponsor's (including but not limited to corporate logos, brand names and slogans). Sponsor reserves the right, but not the obligation, to blur/black out the image(s)/name(s) of unacceptable logos, brand names and slogans that appear in submission, but if Sponsor does not do so, the entry may be disqualified. Sponsor reserves the right to allow Submissions containing only incidental, non-infringing use of third-party trademarks. Decisions are at Sponsor's sole discretion
• Submission may include Sponsor's brand names, logos and/or trademarks; the use of Sponsor's brand names, logos and/or trademarks is permitted only for the purpose of entering in this Contest. NOTE: Use of Sponsor's brand names, logos and/or trademarks is not required.
• Submission cannot contain any information that references other websites, addresses, email addresses, contact information or phone numbers.
• Submission must not contain any material embodying the names, likenesses, voices or other indicia identifying celebrities and/or other public figures, living or dead.
• Submission must not contain defamatory statements (including words or symbols that are widely considered offensive to individuals of a certain race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic group). The determination of what a defamatory statement rests solely with the Sponsor.
• Submission must not include threats to any person, place, business, or group; it must not invade privacy or other rights of any person, firm, entity, and it must not in any way violate applicable federal, state, or local laws and regulations.
• Submission must not include or show any dangerous behavior or activity or contain content that promotes dangerous activities that may result in injury to oneself or others.
• Submission must not contain indecent behavior, profanities or obscenities, including but not limited to nudity, or pornography, and must not in any way disparage persons or organizations associated with Sponsor.
• Submission must not include any personally identifiable information (e.g. last name, address, school, place of work, etc.) of Entrant or any other person(s), whether they appear in Submission or not.
• Submission must not refer, depict or in any way reflect negatively upon the Sponsor, the Contest or any other person or entity.
• Submission must be suitable for presentation in a public forum.
• If the Submission contains any person(s) other than the Entrant, by entering this Contest, Entrant attests that he/she has received permission from other person(s) depicted in the Submission (and from parent/legal guardian if other person(s) depicted are considered minors in their states of residence) for Sponsor to use their names/likenesses for publicity including, but not limited to, posting on website(s) and must make written copies of such permissions available to the Sponsor upon request. If you are selected as a potential winner, any other person depicted in your Submission may be required to sign a publicity release.
• If Entrant is considered a minor in his/her state of residence, Entrant must have received permission from his/her parent/legal guardian, prior to entry.
• Entrant must receive prior written permission from the videographer if Submission was filmed by someone other than the Entrant him/herself. Entrant must make written copies of such permissions available to the Sponsor upon request.
By entering, Entrant certifies that the Submission he/she submitted is his/her own original work and he/she holds all rights to the Submission, that the Submission has not previously published (including, but not limited to having been posted on any social media platform, blog or other website or having appeared in any other media) nor won a previous prize or award and that he/she has followed and complied with the Official Rules of the Contest.
All material submitted becomes property of Sponsor and will not be returned.
4. FINALIST JUDGING: Finalists' Submissions will be judged by a panel of celebrity filmmakers from the Tribeca Film Festival community. The top 3 highest scoring Submissions will be deemed First, Second and Third Prize winners. Judging will be based on the following criteria: Originality and Creativity - 50%; Appropriateness to Theme - 30% and Technical Quality - 20%. In the event of a tie, tied entries will be broken based on the highest score for Originality and Creativity. Winners will be announced on/about April 25, 2017.
5. PRIZES/APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUES ("ARV's"):
• 1-First Prize: A $15,000 scholarship, $5,000 worth of DSLR camera and film equipment and/or editing software and a 5-day, 4-night vacation in New York State. Winner will work with the travel agent chosen by the Sponsor at their sole discretion to create the vacation package. The package will include $150 towards ground transportation and $500 for meals awarded as a $650 check made payable to the winner. Vacation package will include one (1) standard room double occupancy hotel room for four (4) nights for winner and one (1) adult guest and at least one attraction. The $150 towards ground transportation is meant to offset travel costs to/from vacation destination and winner's residence as well as travel to one attraction while at the vacation destination. Budget for the hotel and attraction is $2,050. If winner selects a vacation package that is over the indicated budget, winner will be responsible to pay those charges directly to the travel agent. No actual value is awarded to the winner if they choose a vacation package that doesn't reach the estimated budgeted amount of $2,050. Vacation package must be booked at least thirty (30) days prior to the trip taking place. Vacation package must be completed one (1) year from being officially confirmed as a winner; ARV: $22,700
• 1-Second Prize: A $10,000 scholarship, $5,000 worth of DSLR camera and film equipment and/or editing software and a 3-day, 2-night weekend getaway in New York State Winner will work with the travel agent chosen by the Sponsor at their sole discretion to create the vacation package. The package will include $150 towards ground transportation and $300 for meals awarded as a $450 check made payable to the winner. Vacation package will include one (1) standard room double occupancy hotel room for two (2) nights for winner and one (1) adult guest and at least one attraction. The $150 towards ground transportation is meant to offset travel costs to/from vacation destination and winner's residence as well as travel to one attraction while at the vacation destination. Budget for the hotel and attraction is $1,350. If winner selects a vacation package that is over the indicated budget, winner will be responsible to pay those charges directly to the travel agent. No actual value is awarded to the winner if they choose a vacation package that doesn't reach the estimated budgeted amount of $1,350. Vacation package must be booked at least thirty (30) days prior to the trip taking place. Vacation package must be completed one (1) year from being officially confirmed as a winner; ARV: $16,800
• 1-Third Prize: A $5,000 scholarship and a $2,000 DSLR camera; ARV: $7,000
• The scholarship portion of the prize(s) will be awarded as a 529 plan at the institution of the winner's choice. Should the winner of a scholarship be graduated at the time the winners are announced, and isn't planning on attending any other schooling, a 529 plan wouldn't be beneficial to the winner and the scholarship would be awarded as a check, payable to the winner. Winning Submissions may also receive exposure through ILNY website, ILNY YouTube channel and social media properties, in addition to promotional screenings at the Tribeca Film Festival, at Sponsor's sole discretion. No substitution or transfer of prize by winner permitted. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prize (or portion thereof) of equal or greater value.
6. GENERAL RULES: In order to receive the $5,000 stipend to produce their Submission, potential Finalists (and parent/legal guardian if potential Finalist is deemed a minor in his/her state of residence) must complete an Affidavit of Eligibility certifying that the Submission will be his/her own original work and he/she holds all rights to the Submission, it has not won a previous prize or award and that he/she followed the Official Rules of the Contest. Additionally, potential Finalists (and parent/legal guardian if potential Finalist is a minor) will be required to complete an Affidavit, Release of Liability, Prize Acceptance Form, W-9 form and, if legally permissible, a Publicity Release. All documents must be completed and returned within 5 days of attempted delivery of same. Noncompliance within this time period or return of any prize/prize notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification without further notice and an alternate Finalist may be selected, time permitting. All finalists may also be required to complete a background check. All applicable federal, state and local taxes on prize and any expenses relating to the acceptance/use of prize not specified herein are the sole responsibility of winner. In no event will more than the stated number of prizes be awarded. If Sponsor suspects that an Entrant attempted to obtain additional entries by using multiple email addresses, registrations, identities or any other method, all entries submitted by the Entrant may be declared null and void. Sponsor/judges reserve the right to: (a) use contestant's name and likeness and reproduce/distribute all Entries submitted in any and all media throughout the world in perpetuity, (b) alter, amend, edit or change Entries prior to distribution and (c) use, distribute, reproduce, alter, amend and copyright Entries for purposes of advertising and trade, without further compensation, unless prohibited by law. Entrants/winners (and parent/legal guardian if Entrant/winner is a minor in his/her state of residence) agree to release, discharge and hold harmless Released Parties from and against any and all liability (including damages caused or claimed to be caused) arising out of participation and/or acceptance/use of prize, and agree to be bound by the Official Rules and the judges' decisions, which are final. Entry into the Contest and/or acceptance of prize constitutes permission for the Sponsor and its agencies to use Entrant's/winner's name and/or likeness and/or Submission for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, including a winners' list, unless prohibited by law. Claims may not be resolved through any form of class action. In the event there is a discrepancy or inconsistency between disclosures or other statements contained in any Contest materials and the terms and conditions of the Official Rules, the Official Rules shall prevail, govern and control. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Contest or in the announcement of the prizes.
NOTICE: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS PROMOTION IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS, AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. Not responsible for faulty, incorrect, undeliverable or mistranscribed phone/email transmissions, incorrect announcements of any kind, technical hardware or software failures of any kind including any injury or damage to any person's computer related to or resulting from participating in or experiencing any materials in connection with the promotion, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmission that may limit a user's ability to participate in the promotion. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for undeliverable emails resulting from any form of active or passive email filtering by a user's Internet service provider and/or email client or for insufficient space in user's email account to receive email. Sponsor reserves the right to cancel or modify the promotion if fraud, misconduct or technical failures destroy the integrity of the program; or if a computer virus, bug, or other technical problem corrupts the administration or security of the program as determined by Sponsor/judging agency/administrator, in their sole discretion. In the event of termination, a notice will be posted online and all eligible entries received prior to termination will be included in the judging. Any damage made to the Web Site by an Entrant will be the responsibility of the Entrant and/or the authorized email account holder of the email address submitted at the time of entry. Proof of submitting entries will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsor. Any entries which are suspected of being fraudulent (including those using robotic, automatic, programmed or similar methods of participation) will be disqualified, based on determinations made solely by Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right to prohibit the participation of an individual if fraud or tampering is suspected or if the individual fails to comply with any requirement of participation as stated herein or with any provision in these Official Rules.
This Contest is void wherever restricted or prohibited by state or local laws.
7. WINNERS LIST: Winners' names will be available at www.iloveny.com/filmcontest on or about October 30, 2017 or after all winners have been determined.