An official Path Through History Site! The Beaverkill Covered Bridge is one of four covered bridges still standing in Sullivan County.It is owned by the Town of Rockland and maintained by the county and carries traffic across the Beaver Kill. Built by John Davidson in 1865, this 98-foot-long, single span structure incorporates the Town lattice truss design patented on January 28, 1820, and again in 1835 by Ithiel Town of New Haven, Connecticut. The Beaverkill Covered Bridge is very similar in dimensions and design to other bridges in the Catskill region, all of which feature buttresses. The Beaverkill has four such buttresses on each side and is one of five covered bridges in New York State that has a timber approach. The Beaverkill Covered Bridge was an early step in bringing civilization to a remote area that had remained mostly unsettled well into the 19th century.