Learn about the history of Belfast, from the training of pro bare knuckle boxers to life on the canal and railroad. The historical society offers historical data and collections as well as genealogies, burial information, and much more. The Town of Belfast was formed from a portion of the old Town of Caneadea, March 24, 1824 as Orrinsburgh. On April 25, 1825, the present name was adopted. A portion of Caneadea was annexed in 1831. Pleasantly situated on the west bank of the Genesee River is the Village of Belfast. The first house on the hill where the village is now situated was a log house erected by Alexander V.P. Chamberlain in 1816. The Genesee Valley Canal was completed to Belfast in 1853 and became a point of considerable commercial importance to the town. In 1855 the population was 801. By 1879 the population was about 500.