Friends of History in Fulton, NY, Inc.
- 177 S First St
- Fulton, NY 13069
- (315) 598-4616
The Pratt House,which is the home of Friends of History in Fulton, was constructed of brick in 1861, in the formal Italianate style, by John Wells Pratt and his wife Harriet in a prominent location on what was the leading residential street in the then village of Fulton. The house was built in two parts, with the front half reserved for the family and the back half, which has lower ceilings and smaller rooms, reserved for the servants. Made from locally cut brick, the walls are about 13 to 15 inches thick. The bay windows are typical of the Italianate style, but the front one was added in the 1880's when the porch was rebuilt. In 1922 the house was wired for electricity and running water was added. The house remained in the Pratt family until 1975, through John's son George and his wife Sarah, and their son John and his wife Helen. Helen Pratt was the last member of the family to reside in the house. The John Wells Pratt House was placed on the National and State Register of Historic places in the year 2000. The Pratt House has many architectural features that are sure to impress the visitors. The kitchen has been restored to show how the family lived in 1861. The upstairs has many permanent exhibits including local industries, sports, education, and transportation.