George Washington Bridge Little Red Lighthouse
- 179th St
- New York, NY 10022
- (212) 304-2365
An official Path Through History Site! This landmark got its nickname from Hildegarde H. Swift's children's classic The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge. The 1880 lighthouse was moved to its present location in 1921 to aid navigation along the Hudson River. When the George Washington Bridge was completed in 1931, it overwhelmed the lighthouse, which was later decommissioned and threatened with demolition. Thousands of children who had loved Swift's book started a nationwide campaign that helped save the lighthouse, which is now open to the public.