The Museum commemorates the life and work of John W. Jones, who escaped Virginia slavery and settled in Elmira in 1844. As an Underground Railroad station master, he safely assisted 800 freedom-seekers to flee to Canada. Later, as sexton of Woodlawn Cemetery, he was responsible for the meticulous and caring burial of 2,973 Confederate soldiers who died in the Elmira Prison Camp, one-fourth of its population. Following his work, Woodland Cemetery located directly across from Jones’ home, became a National Cemetery in 1877. Jones’ home was saved from razing in 1997 and restored, and is now a museum open for public tours. The home is listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places.