An official Path Through History Site! Erected in 1921, the synagogue was designed by architect Maurice Courland in Neo-Romanesque style. The synagogue was at its height of popularity during the 1940s, 1950s, and early 1960s. The Orthodox Sephardic synagogue is still in continual use for daily and Shabbat prayers. The congregation follows strict Sephardic halkha and customs based on its lineage from Aram Soba (Allepo, Syria).