Mildred Denton Wildlife Sanctuary - Southern Adirondack Audubon Society
- Route 4
- Greenwich, NY 12834
- (518) 964-6740
- Visit Site | E-Mail
Located on a historically important transportation corridor, this preserve borders the Hudson River on the west and contains stretches of an abandoned canal and an old electric trolley line. Originally the site was part of a land patent granted in 1732 to William Kettlehuyn, a merchant, and Cornelius Cuyler, a yeoman, both from Albany. They claimed they bought the land from the Indians. Today, the land is mostly wooded, but an open area marks the location of shale mining operations, which continued into the 1970s.