An official Path Through History Site! The Georgian/Dutch-style fieldstone house was built in 1754 for merchant John Ellison. Gen. Henry Knox, Continental Army's commander of artillery, used the house as headquarters in 1779 and during the winter of 1780 to 1781 while training soldiers. Quartermaster Gen. Nathanael Greene lived there in 1779 and Maj. Gen. Horatio Gates in 1782, when he commanded the nearby New Windsor Cantonment, the Continental Army's final encampment. It is furnished to reflect the wealth of the Ellison family as well as its military heritage.