An official Path Through History site! The Shushan Covered Bridge is one of four covered bridges still standing in Washington County and is the only bridge owned and maintained by the Town of Shushan. The Shushan Bridge crosses the Batten Kill and now serves as a museum for the Town of Shushan. Built by brothers, Milton and James Stevens, during the spring and summer of 1858. This 161-foot-long, two span structure incorporates the Town lattice truss design patented on January 28, 1820, and again in 1835 by Ithiel Town of New Haven, Connecticut. The bridge trusses were laid out and assembled on the village green beside the railroad depot, then drawn by oxen to the bridge site where they were erected over the river on a system of falsework. In May 1974, the Shushan Covered Bridge Association was founded by John Rich and Carleton Foster and grew to include most of the residents of Shushan. The all-volunteer group bought the bridge from Washington County for $1.00, erected a new center pier, and installed a new roof. It now serves as a museum of farm tools, mostly donated by Shushan farmers.