An official Path Through History Site! Situated at the intersection of Purchase Street and Boston Post Road, the Square House served as a tavern and inn during the mid-late 18th century. The building had several notable guests including John and Samuel Adams in 1774 and President George Washington in 1789. The Square House also served as the Municipal Hall for the Village of Rye - later the City of Rye from 1904-1964. As the Square House Museum, the building is interpreted as a tavern in the 1770s-1780s under the ownership of Dr. Ebenezer Haviland and later his widow Tamar Haviland.