An official Path Through History Site! Originally built to be a movie palace, The Stanley opened on September 10, 1928 with 2,963 seats. In 1974 the Central New York Community Arts Council, a local nonprofit organization, acquired the property, upgraded all mechanical, electrical, and safety systems, and continued to make technical improvements. In 2006, the Stanley closed its doors and underwent a $20 million expansion project. Now the Stanley is a performance venue with movies and live productions. Tours are by appointment.