An official Path Through History Site! Built in 1799 for merchant Archibald Gracie, the property was later acquired by the city for park development. After decades of use as a park concession stand, the mansion was restored as the first home of the Museum of the City of New York and later became a historic house museum. In the 1940s, the mansion was designated the mayor`s official residence. The Gracie Mansion Conservancy was established in 1966 to oversee the preservation of the house and grounds as well as provide educational services, including tours.